Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - mandrel bends
Thread: mandrel bends
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 08:34 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Mandrel bends

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd36
You have to be a moderator to move a post from one forum to another.

To make a roll cage should be continuous tubes, not pieces spliced together like welding curved sections to straight sections. If this is the bender you're thinking of buying

DON'T DO IT. That is a PIPE bender and will kink/flatten roll bar TUBING, which will weaken the tubing. Pipe is sized by ID, tubing is sized by OD, so the dies for a pipe bender are not the right size for tubing dies.

Hey I REALLY apreciate the advice and yes that was the one. I have built a lot of exhaust systems by welding pieces together. I have some inserts that expand to the size of the I.D. and extend into the pipe about an inch on both sides, then you can get a nice weld through on all of it, I wouldn't grind down the welds to weaken them. The cage I want to build is more for making the frame more solid. I'm putting a 383 blown motor (648 hp) in a '54 Chev P/U going to be mountred on a 41 Chev car frame. I picked up the frame from a friend. It is a square frame so no need to box the stock c-channel and it already has a Mustang I.F.S. welded in. Saves a bunch of work. Planning on a front motor plate and maybe a mid plate too. Am going to re-inforce frame with probably 1 1/2 dom tubing. Eventually may 4 link it but I'm on a limited budget so I have to do the things necessary to get it up and running then replace things as I break them (LOL). Thanks again.