Hot Rod Forum banner

Mandrel Bent Exhaust Fabricator

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  PatM 
#1 ·
Hi guys.

I'm thinking about adding the exhaust system to my truck pretty soon. I thought about buying mandrel bends, and doing the welding in the garage. But, on second thought, I think it'd be a lot simpler to not have to do all that fit-up work myself. So, now I'm looking for a muffler shop in the San Francisco South Bay area that does mandrel bending on 2 1/2 inch diameter tubing. I know most shops use compression benders, and that buying the mandrel bent service will cost more, but it seems to me that it'll be worth it. So, if you have a referral for me in the area, please let me know. Thanks.

Pat

#3 ·
Sanderson headers is in South San Francisco, give them a call. I believe they make custom headers on site, maybe they can help you or point you in the right direction.

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/contact_us.php

You could also look in the phone book for an industrial tube bending shop, I know of one in San Jose, but they are flakes. :(

Later, mikey

#4 ·
Matt, I'm not familiar with universal kits except as a bunch of mandrel bends, straight lengths, and my own labor to fit and weld. Or, at least tack. I think I have all the necessary tools and skills, I just don't really want to take the time. I've done a lot of work, over a thirteen year period, and I'd like to drive around the block this year. But, if I can't find someone to do it for me, I certainly will.

Mikey -- Thanks for the idea, I posted an e-mail to the Sanderson site. Hopefully they know of someone who has the tools and skills to do a mandrel bent exhaust system. I got a lead once on a shop in Fremont, but now I can't find the lead. BTW -- I heard it rained this morning in Gilroy.

Thank you both, and best Regards.

Pat

#5 ·
Its not worth the extra expense, just get it done locally in the size you require and don't worry about it.

If you need more flow go up in size.

#6 ·
4 Jaw Chuck said:
Its not worth the extra expense, just get it done locally in the size you require and don't worry about it.

If you need more flow go up in size.
Mandrel bends look better though.

Later, mikey

#8 ·
Compression benders leave an indentation on the inside radius of the bend. At least, I think that is what the "standard" muffler shop benders are called. That's what I'm thinking of, anyway. The crinkling I think is some other process that I don't fully understand. But, they look downright ugly.

Pat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.