mandrel bent metal radiator hoses? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2012, 06:09 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

mandrel bent metal radiator hoses?

i'm hoping to find an easy solution for a upper and lower radiator hose.

Parts
----------------------
1977 350 SBC
short water pump
V Belt pulleys
here is the alternator bracket
Griffin double core radiator

Photo of accessories bolted on

photo of alternator bracket and water pump

NOTE:
the alternator bracket is designed to work on the drivers side. I've taken the bracket and flipped it to the passengers, since I'm using an electric fuel pump and power steering.

Photo of the radiator

The radiator has been moved forward 3" from it's previous location. The top hose is now 3" too short. The bottom hose previously used was with a different alternator bracket.

Does anyone know of a supplier or shop that has mandrel bent tubing in various angles that i can splice together, OR one that can be provided measurements, photos and cad image to bend a pipe to fit?

i know it's a long shot
chris<pixelmonkey>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 06:30 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

If you just want bent pipe use exhaust pipe, any exhaust shop can bend that. Be sure to use some rubber as the engine moves a little more than the radiator.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:42 AM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

short water pump

short water pumps are usually for corvettes. the alternator sits over the power steering pump. why did you change it. seems to be sticking out quite far. are you sure this set up is going to fit in the engine compartment?
Old 05-21-2012, 07:05 AM

ap72 - I considered that, but all the local shops only do the pressure/compressed bends. i'm considering ordering a 90 deg mandrel bent pipe from online and building from there.

This motor is being used in a 1987 chevy S-10

the motor is now bolted in. the power steering pump bracket has a lower portion that flips depending on a short or long water pump. in the photo, it was turned for a long water pump, and the alternator pulley is backwards.

the accessories are now bolted onto the motor and everything clears. 3/4" clearance between the frame and alternator; 1" for the power steering pump and steering gear box.

chris<pixelmonkey>
Old 05-21-2012, 08:04 AM
boatbob2

Metal rad hoses.......

Hi,i would buy some S/S bends,tack them til you get a good fit,then have the pipes tig welded,then polish them.use a short section of rad hose on each end for stopping vibration,i would have the end of the pipes tig welded,so the hose wouldnt blow off,under pressure.(or a slight bell mouth) (been there,done that) its a B---H when youre in the middle of nowhere,and the hose blows off.(been there,and done that too)
The Following User Says Thank You to boatbob2 For This Useful Post:
Infinite Monkeys (03-11-2014)
Old 05-21-2012, 08:26 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelmonkey
i'm hoping to find an easy solution for a upper and lower radiator hose.
One option is to use short rubber radiator hoses (cut from longer hose of the correct diameter) at the engine and radiator that provide a straight run between the two pieces. Then simply use a length of straight steel tubing between the two.

I've had to do this on two occasions- once w/a Cad 472 in a '81 Camaro, once w/a DD Plymouth AT minivan w/a "almost fits" radiator from a stick shift van. Most parts stores hang their hoses where you could walk up and measure them, or they should at least have a catalog showing them all.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:49 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

A compressed bend is not the end of the world. Unless you want the lok of mandrel bends I wouldn't waste your time on that route. If you're that worried about it just step up a size on the pipe diameter.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:12 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Speedway has some that are for a flathead that can be easily modified as well as this one shown below that should work on a Chebbie with no alterations. They also have silicone hose and the Gates shrink fit hose clamps. You should have no trouble with the top hose - the bottom will take some thought, imagination as well as welding skills.

This is what I did with my Ford powered 'A'. That pre made Speedway version in this case turned out about 1-2 inches too short - but it is what it is:

I am using SS gear clamps on the outer ends for ease of disassembly - it is a hot rod and they will need to come apart occasionally for work (like right now )

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.