manifold filler neck or expansion tank? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2008, 04:30 PM
70 Chevelle SS 396

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

manifold filler neck or expansion tank?

Hey-
I fit a late 90's Caddy radiator into my S10 for my 350 swap. The Caddy radiator used a remote fill tank and cap- there's no cap on the radiator.
So, I got a copper T and brazed a filler neck to it for a po' boy in-line filler. The only problem is that it leaks and looks like crap. Plus, it rubs the alternator (because of the position of the hoses I used).

My question is- Would I be better off to use a remote reservoir with pressurized cap, or a manifold filler neck (like THIS ?

The remote reservoir had lines going directly into the water pump on the Caddy, so I don't know what other kind of expansion tank I could use or where to tie it into the system.

The manifold filler neck, on the other hand, would be simple. Not very pretty, but simple. Seems like it would be easy to drill on of those out and make it yourself (the block part), instead of paying $50 or more for one.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Nooj

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2008, 04:52 PM

tank

I'm in no way a for guy, but did'nt late 50's thru early 60's Fords use some sort of "external" filler tank? Maybe a solution if the hose diameters are the same. Or, any competent radiator shop should be able to put a fill spout on your current radiaor.But, what do I know?
Old 01-21-2008, 05:59 PM
70 Chevelle SS 396

Last photo:

Hmmm... I don't know if they can put a filler neck on this radiator- It's got plastic tanks on it. I sure would simplify things though

I was thinking that I could put a T in the heater hoses, and run hoses to a pressurized expansion tank. That's about the only place I can think to tie back into the system with an expansion tank. That would eliminate my in-line filler.

Anyone done that before?

Nooj
Old 01-21-2008, 06:42 PM

tank

Just looked in my most recent Summit catalog. They sell a 1 1/2" universal hose cap adapter; goes in the top hose and gets spliced in. Sort of spendy at $32.95 part # sme-2202/2202-11 coated black at $36.96. I know there's another out there as I've seen it on some bracket cars, but don't know who makes it.

Also, look up "radiator expansion tank" on E-Bay. There are several of the Ford type on there you could probably adapt.

Last edited by junior stocker; 01-21-2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

What about something like the old style Corvette tanks?
Old 01-21-2008, 10:23 PM
9.82 @ 139mph

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

you can use the in line type filler (summit) or use a surge / expansion tank - you can find these from summit online. if you use a remote tank, the main (usually 3/8 ) line runs form the bottom of the remote tank to the low pressure side of the water pump ( tap into the heater hose where in enters the suction side of the pump. the other line from the remote tank (bleed line ) usually 1/4 goes to the top (side of the radiator ) there should be a fitting on the radiator ( on the side where the main outlet is located.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:28 AM
70 Chevelle SS 396

Last photo:

I guess I forgot to mention- the radiator is upside down. I had to do it that way because of where the in/out was on the radiator. I don't think there's a port for an expansion tank on this radiator though. The car I got the radiator from had hoses ran from the expansion tank to the engine.

I don't know about the corvette tanks. I'll look into it.

Thanks for the responses. I'll check around try to find an expansion tank (pressurized) and tie that in to the heater lines. Besides possibly having air in the high point of the system, is there any reason that won't work?

Thanks-
Nooj

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.