Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   Engine (
-   -   manometer (

birkey 10-28-2012 11:51 AM

Anyone have experience building one. What size tubing is preferred?

vinniekq2 10-28-2012 12:12 PM

Buy a vacuum guage?

ogre 10-28-2012 12:38 PM

manometers are usually used to test slight pressure variations like for filter racks in paint booths in the hotrod world
your measuring pressure not volume so use a small 1/4'' tubing
set up a U shaped hose on graph paper and use a dyed fluid to check differential pressure
but then you have to worry about how to calibrate it or
you can buy a new manometer from for $40 or a used one off ebay for $5
if you buy used make sure you can get the right fluid for it as it will be calibrated for the specific gravity of the fluid

birkey 10-28-2012 12:59 PM

I have a really nice vacuum gauge, but I just like building stuff on my free time. Is it water or thicker viscosity?

birkey 10-28-2012 04:25 PM

Does the amount of vacuum/pressure change what thickness of fluid should be used

GREENBIRD56 10-28-2012 09:21 PM

distilled water
The guages are often read in "inches of water" - the depth of the "U" tube has to be something over 30 inches I believe. I've seen 1/4 and 5/16 aquarium type tubing used to make the "U".

One tube is exposed to atmosphere (with no air flow over the open end) and the other end exposed to the pressure you are testing - it is a comparitor device. You want to measure the difference in the height of the water on both sides of the "U".

Larry123 10-28-2012 09:50 PM


Originally Posted by birkey (Post 1604296)
Does the amount of vacuum/pressure change what thickness of fluid should be used

Just make a U tall enough to cover the pressure range you expect without blowing the water out. The dia. of the tubing does not matter; use clear Tygon tubing from the hardware store, I like 3/8. Hook up to the pressure you want to measure, just take a tape measure and measure the difference in height between the two columns of water, that will be your pressure (inches of water pressure). 1 inch of water @ 60 deg F = .0361 psi .

You can add some food coloring to dye it if you like.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.