manual brakes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2009, 08:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

manual brakes

I've got vaccumn problems with my existing booster setup so i found a manual booster. Will this manual booster run my 79 trans am front disc rear drum brakes. I know they are not as good but for now will they work ok, Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssonny34@yahoo.com
I've got vaccumn problems with my existing booster setup so i found a manual booster. Will this manual booster run my 79 trans am front disc rear drum brakes. I know they are not as good but for now will they work ok, Thanks
The m/c is different from the power and the manual, the rod is different the bore in the master cylinders are different sizes. Cole
Old 07-26-2009, 06:56 AM

manual brakes

my question was will it run my brakes ok., I built a rod the master cylinder bolted to my firewall with the existing bolts just fine the lines hooked up fine to. But when I push on the pedal will this setup work to stop my car.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssonny34@yahoo.com
my question was will it run my brakes ok., I built a rod the master cylinder bolted to my firewall with the existing bolts just fine the lines hooked up fine to. But when I push on the pedal will this setup work to stop my car.
My answer is, If you have the right diameter rod and the correct length and everything bolts up properly then i don't see any reason why it wont work till you can get the correct parts to fix properly, Just remember this is the break system you are talking about you go changing things and stuff happens, When it come to brakes either do it right or leave it alone, but it should be fine if you have everything lined and bolted up properly .IMO. Cole

Last edited by eloc431962; 07-27-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:25 PM
From the middle of the world

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

manual boster? what is a manual booster? did you mean the hydro-boost unit that uses pressurized fluid from the power steering pump?

Augusto.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:51 PM
More for Less Racer

Did you move the brake pushrod to the upper hole on the brake pedal?? It is the hole used by the factory with manual brakes, provides more leverage and a straight link to the master cylinder. Might be a brake light switch tab bolted into this hole on pedal arm. Otherwise pedal will feel hard.

Should be fine otherwise, did this to my power brake front disc '72 Nova to get manual brakes for drag use.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:17 PM

manual brakes

thanks eric appreciate the help. To augusto its not pressurized off the power steering its just a a standard brake manual setup but theres no vaccumn booster just foot power so to speak. Old rigs fifties and 60's had these units. I know its outdated but till i can afford to buy a pump 7 inch booster etc, it'll have to work. We just built a rod which was pretty basic and everything lined up good. Just havent road tested. I'll be careful, I've just never pushed on manual brakes that i know of. My dad says they'll skid the tires so it should work. Thanks everyone who helped me.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:25 PM

you confused me by using the word "booster" which is not used when manual non-asisted brakes are used.

currently the most common boosters are vaccum and hydro-boost

manual brakes are used mostly on race cars and they work very well

here I've driven some old cars that had manual brakes and though they are harder on the pedal they brake very well

vaccum boosters arrived so women and older people could drive the cars safelly and they ended up very practical and comfortable so we "rude" males ended up loving them.

Augusto
Old 08-01-2009, 07:04 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

There is one change that has been mentioned that you need to do. This is to change the pedal ratio. The poster above referred to swapping out where the pushrod connects to the pedal. This "extra" mounting position is not in place on all vehicles and will need to be added.

Power assist master cylinders usually have about a 4:1 pedal ratio.

Manual master cylinders work best with a pedal ratio of 6:1 or even 7:1.

If you switch from power assist to manual and do not change the pedal ratio; it will take a lot of pedal pressure to stop/activate the brakes. On a heavier vehicle you will not be pleased with the results.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:21 PM

I have been wondering about the pedal ratio for the brakes I'm building for my racing go-kart and didn't have a starting number, I know now it should be between 6 to 7:1

thanks for the info.

Augusto.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.