Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Manual Choke doesn't function?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 11:04 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by worminator
Hey, I own an '82 Buick LeSabre. I was tired of having it idle so high, so I replaced the electric choke with a manual one. When I had the electric choke, I would only have to pump the gas once for the car to start. Is it normal for me to have to pump it upwards of 30 times with the manual choke engaged?
This was an adjustment problem, the electric choke has a fast idle cam as part of its assembly. It has an adjustable screw, when the weather is cold and choke closes the cam which is on the same shaft as what closes the choke also open the throttle plates to speed up the idle speed. The speed is controlled with a screw adjustment between the throttle shaft and the choke's fast idle cam.

I'd recommend putting the electric choke back and trashing the manual. Most people eventually forget the choke is on and leave it there running a lot of fuel through the engine which washes the upper cylinder lube away resulting in friction damage to the rings and upper cylinder wall, bring the next major rebuild closer.

Bogie