Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Manual Choke doesn't function?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 04:35 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
Shame, with a little adjustment of the fast idle screw, you could have remedied that problem.
X3.......!

Here's what I do on my 350.
Pull choke cable out all the way and bump it back in about 1/4 to 1/2 in.
Give it a pump shot and crank it up. On an auto choke, the initial setting is the choke plate on the carb should be open slightly (about 1/4 in) and that is the same with an manual. Even a manual choke has a fast idle screw adj. also
so you need to set that (when engine is cold) the same as the automatic.
One thing that makes it easier is to always mount the choke cable to the carb. with the least amount of kinks and bends so it will operate smoothly with little Resistance. Having a sticky or hard to push choke knob is a pain so lubricating the linkage and cable every so often will keep it operating smoothly. If you can learn to operate the manual choke and set the fast idle speed, you can do the same with your automatic electric choke.
The only reason I have a manual choke is I bought the carb used (600 cfm Holley) and that's what it came with and didn't want to spend the money to get an auto elec. choke control. If I were you, I would put the auto back on.
Another advantage to an auto choke is the women in your life may have to drive it and then what? My wife can start my truck ok but the next time I get in it she always forgets to push it all the way in after it warms up sucking gas so I keep her in the GP and out of my truck!