Manual disc brakes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2009, 09:21 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Manual disc brakes

I am working on a 53 Studebaker half ton truck. It originally had 4 wheel drum brakes with a single reservoir master cylinder mounted under the cab.
My plans are to modify the system using the parts below. Unfortunately, there is not enough room to put a standard sized vacuum booster under the cab. I would like to leave the pedal assembly as it was originally. Long story short, I want to run manual brakes instead of power brakes to simplify installation and especially cost.
I would like to know if there may be issues with using this system manually.
There are small diameter booster/ master cylinder combos available, but I do not have the financial means to spend ump-teen thousands of dollars on this project. So far I have only bought a $55 cab mount strut besides a 1982 F150 parts donor truck for $200, and would like to keep it that way.
The parts I intend to use:
Master cylinder- dual reservoir from 82 Ford F150 (with power brakes)
Front rotors- 82 F150 (2wd)
Front calipers- 94 Chevy Lumina van with bolt on style calipers
Proportioning valve- 82 F150
Rear drum brakes- complete rear axle assy from 82 F150 (9" rear)
I fabricated a bracket to mount the master cylinder (minus the vacuum booster) under the cab in the same relative position as the OEM m/c, using the OEM brake pedal.
I am curious if there may be a potential problem in regard to pedal effort by eliminating the power brake booster that was in the F150 brake system.
My Galaxie has manual 4 wheel drum brakes, which work just fine, but I am not sure about manual disc brakes.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2009, 09:41 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

I dont see a problem if all the parts listed will interchange, even with modifications, But the only way for it to be correct is to make sure after all is installed be sure to make your rod to your m/c correct legnth or your pedal / brakes wont be worth a nickel. Even with manual disc you should have a good pedal and stop fine, I installed manual disc on my camaro it does great. JMO. Cole
Old 07-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Last photo:

You will have a problem using a power master cylinder as a manual. A manual master cylinder has a different bore diameter than a power master cylinder. You will experience a hard pedal using a power master as a manual.

Vince
Old 07-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Good call vince, I missed the frpm power brakes in his post. . Cole
Old 07-20-2009, 09:33 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the info. Manual discs= good, power brake master cylinder= bad. Thats what I was looking for.
Now I have a question about the master cylinders... Would I have to get a manual brake m/c specifically for disc/ drum brakes, or would a 4 wheel drum brake application work with front discs? Keep in mind I have the valve to go with the disc brake setup.
Also I have discovered that my brake rotor/hub offset may be an issue to adapt to my spindle, but I will start another thread on it.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Last photo:

You need a master cylinder that specifically says disc. Front disc calipers have a larger volume than drum brakes and a disc master cylinder is made for this. Master cylinders come in various applications like drum rear/disc front, 4 wheel disc, ect ect. You need to match the proper master cylinder to your specific combination.

Vince
Old 07-21-2009, 07:49 PM

Last photo:

Gotcha, thanks again. Its good to have forums like this with experienced people, saves trial and error, and I dont want to err when it comes to brakes.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.