Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   manual disc and drum system. (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/manual-disc-drum-system-220896.html)

price 06-23-2012 01:22 PM

manual disc and drum system.

I am wanting to eliminate the brake booster in my 1970 Skylark and I have mounted discs from a 1980 something g-body and I am wondering if someone in this forum has a manual system with discs on front and drums on rear. I have read glowing reports from advertisments but I want real time experience. :)
Clint

OneMoreTime 06-23-2012 01:34 PM

The thing to concern yourself with is pedal ratio..a manual system needs about a 6-1 or more to work well...Otherwise the effort to use the brakes may be excessive..only way to know is to remove the booster and try it..this may require a different master cylinder as the push rods may be different..

Sam

S10xGN 06-24-2012 09:12 AM

I don't like how mine feels at all. I have a good hard pedal, but it seems to take a loooong time to stop. Unfortunately, I have no room for a booster, don't want to pay the $$$ for the electric setup, and dislike the looks of the hydroboost. My car ('72 Maverick) came stock with manual drum/drum brakes and I swapped to 11" front discs, 11" rear drums (after changing to a 9" axle) and a Grenada disc/drum master cylinder...

Russ

joe_padavano 06-24-2012 10:29 AM

STOP! The very FIRST thing to concern yourself with is WHERE did you get the disks? If you are saying that you installed front spindles and disks from a 1980s G-body, DO NOT drive the car. The G-body spindles are not a bolt-in replacement for the 64-70 A-body cars. The ball joint studs have a different taper and will not seat properly in the spindles. THIS IS NOT SAFE TO DRIVE.

Did I mention that this is not safe?

Once you get the proper spindles and disks for an A-body, then simply get the correct master cylinder for an A-body with manual disk brakes - it was a factory option. Problem solved.

Canzus 06-28-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S10xGN (Post 1567941)
My car ('72 Maverick) came stock with manual drum/drum brakes and I swapped to 11" front discs, 11" rear drums (after changing to a 9" axle) and a Grenada disc/drum master cylinder...

Russ

Hey Russ, are you using the 15/16" manual brake master? The Power brake master is larger and will
give you a solid pedal with crappy brakes...

S10xGN 06-29-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canzus (Post 1569348)
Hey Russ, are you using the 15/16" manual brake master? The Power brake master is larger and will
give you a solid pedal with crappy brakes...

The Grenada master is 15/16" bore made for manual disc/drum. I was tempted to go to a 7/8" bore but was concerned about having less flow at full stroke. Maybe I'm just too old to remember what manual brakes feel like? This is one (of several) reasons the car stays in the garage more than I'd like...

Russ