manual rack and pinion for rear steer needed - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2005, 03:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

manual rack and pinion for rear steer needed

I would like to know where can I get rear steer manual rack and pinion . I know that old Mustang manual rack would fit but they are front steer so wheels would turn in opposite of a steering wheel .
Thanks,

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2005, 05:45 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

What kind of vehicle? Do you know what you are getting into? What do you expect to gain? (I would like your reasoning as to why this swap is necessary...)
Read this thread...
http://hotrodders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59609
Swapping a rack into a vehicle that is not designed for it is a difficult job. Like the thread says, it can be done but, is it done well. There are a lot of factors that need attention to make this swap a better alternative to your current setup. Let alone going down the road in straight line with no bump steer how safe is it? What does it do to ackerman and the turn radius?
Read this article...
http://www.longacreracing.com/articles/art.asp?ARTID=13
You will have to read it a number of times to grasp it... I hope you will realize that bolting in a rack from another car is not going to work unless you can find one that fits your current suspension exactly. The inner pivot point locations, installation height, rack travel, tie rod length, etc., etc. all play a definitive role in making your steering work well, reliably and, above all else, safely.
If you can't find a rack that fits all of these needs you are much better to stay with the current system or redesign your suspension to work with a specific rack.
Mark

Last edited by astroracer; 03-22-2005 at 05:52 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:54 AM

Thanks Astroracer,

Car in question is 82 Jag VDP without engine , transmission , rack and radiator . My buddy got it from another friend who wanted to put in chevy engine but lost interest.
We followed your links and mustang will fit good ( bump steer compliant ) but it turns wheels in opposite direction. Mustang is a front steer and Jag is a rear steer. He wants to put in 305 but we do not have an old rack to see if it fits.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:27 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Jag Rack

Did a search click here and found about 50 steering boxes for your jag..

The jag uses a powers steering box..

OMT
Old 03-25-2005, 05:31 AM

Dodge Omni
Old 03-25-2005, 12:16 PM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
Did a search click here and found about 50 steering boxes for your jag..

The jag uses a powers steering box..

OMT
An '82 Jaguar does NOT have a steering box, it has a Rack and Pinion setup.
Alot of the Jag parts are interchangeable throughout the different years.
My '74 has a rack unit as did all of the other years. You can probably find one on ebay cheap, most of them need rebuilt because they tend to leak over the years. You can actually buy a reman'd unit from most parts stores(autozone,Advanced,etc) but you will get dinged on the core charge since you don't have an exchange.
The most interchangeable years are 1972-1986. I actually gave an extra Rack/Pinion setup away awhile ago...I wish I would've known.
Here is an excellent resource and guide to doing a V8 swap into a JaguarJag Conversion Spend the little bit of cash to get the manual, you'll be glad that you did.
I have a '74 Xj6L (extended wheelbase) that is destined for the chopping block as soon as I get my S10 project done(check my project journal). I am going to building it for my wife to drive. She wanted something to take to the cruise-ins with me and the S10. You can find Jags cheap, most have a blown motor and the conversion is uber-cheap especially if you build the brackets instead of buying the conversion pieces.
I have the manual on the shelf beside me along with a service manual for the XJ series of Jags, if you need any help with anything shoot me an email or PM and I will do the best I can to help you out.
BTW, diehard Jag owners will give you a seriously difficult time about building a "lumper"...I think it because you will be able to drive yours with a V8 instead of having it in the shop all of the time, and still get the styling of a Jag.
Good Luck and make sure to keep a current Project Journal on the site so we can all see your progress and pics.
BTW...they are power steering not manual racks...I can't since them putting a manual steering setup in an expensive luxury car, but who knows.
Later,
WEIMER
Old 03-25-2005, 12:50 PM
abstruse dutch uncle

Last photo:

I think the early Cavaliers were rear steer and came with manual steering. ...probably better to go with parts that fit, but since you asked, that's the one i thought of.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:29 PM

Last photo:

Seems like a great resource would be a database of steering racks for various vehicles that included things like length from inner tie rod link to inner tie rod link, steering ratio, etc.

Sort of an interchange guide.

I'm sure that information is floating around somewhere...

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.