Manual steering box - how do you drive it?!? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2005, 06:22 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Manual steering box - how do you drive it?!?

i just installed a manual steering box from a 91 4 banger s10 into my 82 grand prix that was a direct bolt in. its 7 turns lock to lock.

i read that people did this swap to save wieght in the front and gain engine bay space and no robbing of power from the pump and use this setup on daily drivers...

how the hell do you turn the wheel fast enough at 7 turns you gota be like superman. i went for a drive to parts store to get a cotter pin and i almost running into all the cars on the road because i cant turn it fast enough.

my steering wheel is almost 90 degrees off now becuase how do i fix that? does the pitman arm come off and can readjust that?

i might just have to swap back to power as this is kinda brutal

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2005, 07:05 PM

Last photo:

Yep, I got a manual and a 66 Full-size.....and yes, its hard to turn, but I've been driving it like that for a while, its just getting used to it. You're not going to be doing outside-inside-outside moves with that kind of steering thats for sure, you'll be in the trees way before the turn ended... But it is driveable, just takes a lot of effort and coordination which also makes your daily exercice routine shorter cause its halfway done. Guess my arm sizes... just kidding, I'm not Big, but it did pump up a few muscles I didn't know where there...

If you took it off for power rubbing purpose and its a daily driver, there is already a problem in that statement, daily drivers don't really have the kind of power that needs "every little" Hp it can get and you will only get a few more ponies from not running a pump so if its too hard on your arms, keep it Pumped, you'll like it better. As for room, you can always buy a remote pump and run it by little electric motor in order to put it out of view etc, but that depends also on budjet.

Personnally, I like the fact my two daughters won't be tempted to steal the car and drive it to a party with the guys.....its my security system...

Oh, and try running it with low tire pressure when you don't know...damn...I thought I was getting old real fast that time....lol.

My bits.
Yan

Based on Homer's Philosophical writings.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:17 PM

Last photo:

I have a manual S10 steering box in my grand prix. I know what you mean about having to turn the wheel a lot. You'll get used to it. With 235 wide tires on the front it takes some arm strength when you're in a really tight parking lot. I have to parallel park mine all the time; after a while it's no big deal.
have fun,
dh
Old 11-01-2005, 09:22 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

dh79 after you installed it was your steering wheel tilted to the left almost 90 degrees? if so how did you fix this?

right now that the biggest problem for me. i have the strength to turn the wheel just i dont like the fact of having to turn so much. i think my stock was 3.5 turns lock to lock meaning the s10 box you gota turn double. maybe i just need to slow it down more on corners to give myself more time to crank it lol
Old 11-02-2005, 09:55 AM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

To straighten the steering wheel;
Between the steering box and column, there is a telescopic shaft. Where the telescopic shaft connects to the steering box it is splined. The shaft is held on with a pinch bolt.

Drive your car straight into the driveway. Remove the pinch bolt and pull the telescopic shaft back out of the splines. Turn the steering wheel to the position you want it. Push the shaft back onto the splines of the steering box and reinstall pinch bolt. Put lock tight on the pinch bolt and torque to 30 lbs.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:57 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketeer
To straighten the steering wheel;
Between the steering box and column, there is a telescopic shaft. Where the telescopic shaft connects to the steering box it is splined. The shaft is held on with a pinch bolt.

Drive your car straight into the driveway. Remove the pinch bolt and pull the telescopic shaft back out of the splines. Turn the steering wheel to the position you want it. Push the shaft back onto the splines of the steering box and reinstall pinch bolt. Put lock tight on the pinch bolt and torque to 30 lbs.

Is the pinch bolt that you remove in the steering box or steering colum? only pinch bolt i can find is on the steering colum shaft where it slides onto the steering box splined shaft but it only goes on 1 way.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2005, 10:13 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

If the shaft is keyed to only go on one way you might be able to pull the steering wheel and move it on the shaft. Depends on how the horn button is mechanism is done. Otherwise it's pull the pitman arm, it might be out of pisition. That can get you in trouble though! You need to turn the steering wheel lock to lock, then make sure you park it straight before pulling the pitman arm. If it's more than 1/2 turn off I wouldn't move the pitman arm. If it's 7 turns lock to lock you'll end up with 3 turns to one side, 4 turns to the other. Get as much out by moving the steering wheel first. I know you can move the steering wheel some without interfering with the horn button, at least I can on the 87 S-10 tilt column I have in my Rambler.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.