Is the manual transmission going away? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 12:22 AM

Last journal entry: Getting it together.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'm stuck driving 3 different slush-box wrecks I just can't wait to get my '53 International running The plans are for an older V8 diesel (turbo), NV4500, with a 2 speed rear end ( stock diff )

Advertisement

Last edited by BruceKoukalaka; 02-11-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 11:22 AM

Last photo:

When we got married, our only car was a 4-spd Vega so had to teach my new wife how to shift. She really took to it. From then on she would only drive a stick. For 35 years all her cars were sticks, an RX-7, a 300ZX, a 96 vette and now she drives a 6-spd 03 vette. We have a corsa exhaust on her car and she loves to down shift just to listen to the exhaust poppin on the decell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03 vett & Con 001.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	630.0 KB
ID:	71257  
Old 02-11-2013, 08:22 PM
Mad Tiki Customs & Restoration

I'm amazed how so many people rather drive an auto over a standard. The good news is that if you own a standard it is less likely to get stolen since this generation does not know how to drive a standard.

My jeep is an Auto only because Its easier climbing rocks with two pedals.
My cars are a different story. If they have an Auto I try and buy a parts car that is a Standard and convert it. Or if there older 30's to 50's cars I buy the parts from speedway motors to convert them.

I tried cars with paddle shifters and was not impressed at all. Theres something about hitting that third pedal and having a slight hesitation between gears, and rowing that shifter that paddles just cant replace. Plus im not some dork that drives down the freeway with my hands at 9 and 3. I like it 12 and the other on the shifter ready to grab the next gear
Old 02-11-2013, 11:46 PM
Fought beside and with you 92'

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

When my bro first was married. They had 2 saturn sl . 1 stick 1 auto, both with the twin cam. The auto was a dead player. The manual was fun to drive. Tire burner, and grab second with a lil slip.

If an automactic has enough power in front of it. It is fun too.

I would rather the youth drivers of today keep both hands on the wheel.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:40 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

not many reardrive vehicles, and a stick in a fwd car is boring..
trucks, anyone that plows a stick is a r.p.i.t.a.
bumper to bumper traffic a stick is no fun..
all the rear drive american cars come with a stick.. tho. the new caprice you'll need to get one from downunder..
new auto's are as good if not better at geting every last mpg out of the drivetrain.. so in a truck p/u they are pointless..
now in a mustang/vette/etc fun is to be had.. with a stick..
Old 02-12-2013, 11:22 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

In the 70's when the smog laws hit, sticks were hard to smog and dang near impossible to buy in Cal. I think a lot of potential stick buyers just didn't have much of an opportunity to learn.

Today the baby boomers are getting old, bad knees, bad hips, cranky old farts that want nothing to do with the effort it takes to drive a stick. And autos are getting better and better.

I think my next vehicle, DD, will be an auto. Mostly it will depend on pricing but I am not getting any younger and I drive 40,000 miles a year.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:33 PM

Last photo:

Nothing like a stick car in my opinion.....did a lot of drag racing years ago and at the track it just gets the blood flowing when a stick car comes up to the line with someone who can actually drive it. The automatic cars are sooooo boring to watch it just is'nt the same. Back in the day thats what most of the guys ran and the difference is you had to "drive" the car, a skill that is now lost today. When ever I see a really nice muscle car, then look inside and see that big wide brake pedal and auto shift lever, just ask myself "why". Yeah you really havent lived till you have powershifted a high powered stick car down the track.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:13 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr4speed View Post
Nothing like a stick car in my opinion.....did a lot of drag racing years ago and at the track it just gets the blood flowing when a stick car comes up to the line with someone who can actually drive it. The automatic cars are sooooo boring to watch it just is'nt the same. Back in the day thats what most of the guys ran and the difference is you had to "drive" the car, a skill that is now lost today. When ever I see a really nice muscle car, then look inside and see that big wide brake pedal and auto shift lever, just ask myself "why". Yeah you really havent lived till you have powershifted a high powered stick car down the track.
why, maybe because most sticks can't handle the job..
they can handle one of two, get the two together and they break
1) power
2) traction
put them together and you'll be calling a tow truck..
even the new stuff can't really take the brute power a big block dishs out..
Old 02-13-2013, 09:22 AM

Last photo:

This is an argument that just does not hold water ( in drag racing anyway) I have heard this so many times, it is usually the reason most guys go with an automatic. But the problem is that most guys will run a transbrake, and that is leaving just as hard as a stick will leave the line. And yes I did learn very early on that you just spend the dough and order everything Mark Williams from the front yoke back. End of breakage, and then don't run a high pressure plate that is the mistake a lot of people will make. I don't care how you rationalize it, if your running an automatic, your just taking the easy way out. Plain boring if you ask me, sorry. Now if your talking street cars there are the good trannys and the plain weak ones. Just cause your running a muncie for instance, dont think it wont break, unless it is the m22 version. Still not as strong as a stock a-33 crysler let alone the hemi 4 speed. Regardless still would NEVER run an auto in ANY performance car, period.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:39 AM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

When I took Driver's Ed in HS back in '68 we had a choice of learning in sticks or automatics. I chose stick, and the cars for that group were a 307 V8 Nova with a 3 on the tree, a VW with a 4 speed, and the car I got, a new 1968 Ford Galaxy 500, white with red bucket seats, 390 V8 and top loader 4 speed. Quite the driver's training car.

When Cadillac came out with the CTS-V in 2004, they only offered it with the 6 speed stick. When they upped the horsepower ante to 556 in 2009, they offered an auto. By 2011 when I bought my V, they were producing 12 autos to 1 stick. I have one of 194 sticks produced for 2011.

My truck, 6 speed stick

The V, 6 speed stick

The T, 5 speed stick

My only automatic, and that is because Ford never offered the diesel Excursion with a stick.

So as you can see, I'm pro stick, just prefer the control of choosing a throttle setting and not having a transmission decide for me what gear it is going to be in.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.