Manual Trany - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2002, 01:52 PM
Sakman

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Manual Trany

I have just returned to the hotrod funplace after a 25 year layoff. Kids, College, house, wife etc....you know the story. So I am wanting a 33-35 Chevy that someone has already changed the engine in..I'll do the rest. My question...and I might be missing the point here. If I'm gonna drive a hot rod...it must have a standard trany. Anything else seems crazy for a pumped up engine. So why do most hotrods these days have a 350 automatic transmission. Is it because of cost or ??? Question # 2. If a car has a 350 engine and a 350 Auto Trans, what is required to convert to a manual trany outside of buying a new 1962 muncie 4-speed?
Thanks
Paul Cesak Houston Texas

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2002, 07:23 PM

I agree, a real hotrod has 3 pedals, but shifting gears is not as much fun as it was. Think about being in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour or more, makes my left leg hurt thinking about it. Also have you checked the price of a 4-speed rockcrusher or even a m-20 lately. As far as changing over- bellhousing, clutch disc, throw-out bearing, flywheel, pressure plate, pedal assembly, and either cable, linkage, or hydrolic system to activate it. Oh, and my 40 has a 4-speed, I'm thinking about going the other way, but leave the clutch pedal in for looks. Welcome back, either way you go won't be wrong.
Jack
Old 06-26-2002, 11:11 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

I still think an automatic w/ a shift kit is as good or better than a four speed.They can shift faster just as hard and theres no missed shifts.The only disadvantage is less control of launch.But if you like a four speed go for it.Is kinda fun sidesteppin the clutch at 7000r's
Old 06-27-2002, 07:06 PM

I have a Muncie 4 speed in my hot rod and I think you would be better off with the automatic. The shifter comes up between your legs and is not comfortable. The shifter has to be straitened to clear the seat. I had to make my own clutch linkage, and sometimes you have binding problems when the clutch and brake pedal are pushed in at the same time. When you are diving in city traffic it takes a lot of effort to drive the car because you are constantly shifting gears. The cost of a new manual transmission is around $1300. I bought a used Muncie for $300 and spent another $700 rebuilding it so the cost is about 3 times what the automatic is. Still want a 4 speed?
Old 06-27-2002, 07:37 PM

Last photo:

3 pedals are the only way to go to me.

I am building a new duece tudor highboy for my dad at the moment, with a late model 5spd...I used a hydraulic throughout bearing. No clutch fork, no linkage. Just mount a clutch master cylinder somewhere behind the pedal, and run a line in there to the bearing.

With a 6:1 pedal ratio, a small child could depress the pedal.

My new roadster has an OD in it, and I wish I had put a 5way in it now! I all really depends on you though...I feel that a manual trans is a way to "play" with your toy car. I enjoy runing up and down through the gears. I drive a 5speed mustang on a daily basis...personal preference I guess.

I think maybe some of your above problems are stemming from using old close ratio 4speeds. Modern 5speeds are much better in the ratio department. You can pretty much drive a T5 in second from 0-25mph...fine for traffic sitations.
Old 06-29-2002, 06:40 AM
All Throttle...No Bottle

Wink

Well, dont get me wrong, I've had a couple manual shift trannies and they were "fun" to drive. Although, I dont care how fast you can shift, your not gonna outshift an automatic tranny (not one thats built right anyway). Valuable time can be shaved off your ET with an automatic...plus most rodders like to hear that little chirp when slamming into second, I know I do. Hey, good to see you back in the hotrod scene....dont know how you stayed away for 25years but I guess life makes us do some crazy things sometimes. Good luck with your rod....HRS10
Old 07-01-2002, 01:42 PM
Sakman

Last photo:

Thanks folks....I guess it is just personal preference. I really don';t ever plan on racing my car. I just like playing with it. After spending all the time to build the rod, I really don't want to put it on automatic pilot. Thanks to all that replied. By the way...my other hobby is model railroading. It has keep me sane for the past many years.
<a href="http://pcesak.home.mindspring.com/" target="_blank">http://pcesak.home.mindspring.com/</a>

Grins
pc
Old 07-03-2002, 06:29 AM

Automatic is faster than a manual? Ha. How come every ET on the net for similiar cars has the manual running faster than the autos? The only exception is the 2 and 3 gear drag racing autos, but who's gonna drive those daily (who can afford to)?
If you're driving your daily car to work and don't really want to think at 7:00, an auto is fine. But if you have a real hot rod, an auto is a joke.
Old 07-04-2002, 09:46 AM

Last photo:

I agree manuals are the way to go. All my cars for the last 25 years have been sticks and my kids learn to drive them before they get their licenses. But I only see ads for rebuilt automatics in the magazines. Who's rebuilding and supplying manual transmissions for rodders?

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.