Manual Valve Body Install - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2007, 03:00 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Manual Valve Body Install

On a scale of 1 to 10 how hard is it to install a manual reverse valve body kit on a 86 700R in a Vette...I want to get rid of the TV cable Crap and this TCI kit has the options to do so...I've never installed one b-4...I've built engine's including this one but never messed with a 700R ..Any do's or don'ts I do have a FSM and can follow the trans info given in there..Just don't want this to turn into a nitemare... Any info would be helpfull

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2007, 09:38 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

the TCi v-body may require some check balls not installed... I would hope their instructions would guide you on this.

With no TV cable the trans will probably operate at high main line pressure full time. This will cause the pump to wear slightly faster.

Have fun.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:45 AM

Last photo:

There's no check-balls at all and as Crosley stated, it has a fixed main line pressure. When I tried one, my line pressures were in excess of 240psi all the time.

It actually blew the circlip grooves of the front of my input drum. TCI said they had never heard of that happening before, so your milage may vary (my mileage was about 50 miles..)

Also I does exactly what you ask it to do with the shifter, including putting it into 1st instead of 3rd on a 2-3 change - My bmw tiptronic daily driver has you punch forwards to go up a gear, but the 700r4 with a bm ratchet shifter you punch backwards - so in the heat of the moment - its easy to punch the wrong way!
Old 09-01-2007, 02:52 PM

Thanks all..Iread and reread the instructions and it does'nt appear to be that hard..I'll keep the FSM exploded view handy..Also I'm gonna keep the stock shifter and cut it down 3" and put a camaro ball on it...The TCI kit allows you to wire in the convertor a few diff ways..I'll go with lockup in 4th..What do you mean your milage was 50....
Old 09-02-2007, 01:47 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydad
What do you mean your milage was 50....
I mean i covered 50 miles, then it blew the drum out. It was a 1985 drum, so it may not of helped. I replaced it with a later drum (with the help of the guys on this board), eventually I went back to full auto - as the the full manual was fitted to track down a slipping 4th problem, as advised by my so-called gearbox expert - which actually turned out to be a mis-built servo.

photo of it here:
http://www.mez.co.uk/turbo7.html
Old 09-16-2007, 04:54 AM

O.K I'm gonna do this today ..Can I still use the stock shifter till I decide what one I want?? I 'm not sure about the reverse valve in Trans effecting the shifting pattern of the shifter..I know the numbers will be reversed ie ND321 to N123D...Is that all..Every thing else will be the same no cable issues and such..Oh it's a 700R4 corvette trans
Old 09-16-2007, 06:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydad
O.K I'm gonna do this today ..Can I still use the stock shifter till I decide what one I want?? I 'm not sure about the reverse valve in Trans effecting the shifting pattern of the shifter..I know the numbers will be reversed ie ND321 to N123D...Is that all..Every thing else will be the same no cable issues and such..Oh it's a 700R4 corvette trans
shifter should function..... you need to remember the shift pattern to use and not down shift accidently at a speed that could cause the car to lose control.

the reverse shift pattern is as you posted ... P R N 1 2 3 4.

good luck

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.