Hot Rod Forum banner

Manually shifting an automatic ?

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  SS Power 
#1 ·
I just put in a RB tranny(200r4) and Hurst shifter so I was wondering the general consensus.Is there a recommendation or is it strictly personal preference. I've mostly been a standard shift driver until now.

My shifter has L1, L2, D, OD (my converter is lockup 2000-
2400 stall speed)

I am going around town, should I put it in OD and l let it shift
or use all the gears manually.

Now for all you racers ?
any particular starting gear or shifting method.

#3 ·
Thanks. I should have elaborated more. I have been getting smoked off the line with my new setup and I was concerned about banging it into each gear. The tranny is supposed to be bullit proof so while I try to hone my skills I thought I'd ask.The response is a little slow until 2200 RPM but when I shift manually it pulls better.

#4 ·
SS Power said:
The tranny is supposed to be bullit proof so while I try to hone my skills I thought I'd ask.The response is a little slow until 2200 RPM but when I shift manually it pulls better.
I don't know who told you that. Must have been a salesman. There is no such thing as a bullit proof transmission. Certainly not an automatic!

#10 ·
You say your getting smoked off the line, how are you launching? Using the manual shift would only be better if it's not shifting where you want it to while it's in "drive", but makes driving a lot more fun. I don't know what your motor is like, but since you have a 2-24 stall, I would keep the rpms at about 25-27 on the line. If that gives you too much wheel spin, just take it down a couple hundred, and if it's not enough, do the opposite. With your stall, your motor shouldn't be under 2200 upon acceleration, unless I'm confused how a stall works.

#11 ·
Well, when you have a higher stall tourqe converter (in a nutshell), it allows you to keep it in gear and bring the revs to that rpm with your foot on the brake before either your TQ CVTR "locks up" or "Stalls"and applies power to the clutches and you get tire spin (push harder on the brakes if you do) or you'll simply hold the throttle there and wait for the light.(OK a really big nutshell) Dropping from Neutral will just make it harder on the splines, planetaries, etc, put the right setup in and it shouldnt matter.

IF your still getting smoked off the line try checking the carb setup. When you stomp on it your power valve may not be tuned correctly and causing a bog off the line.

You never said what motor etc. you have. Is it possible that your still just not quite in the power band? (eg cam setup)

PS Tourque converters generate alot more heat on a higher stall so make sure that you have adequate cooling. It makes a big difference on clutch slippage.

My 2 Cents
Hollywooding :cool:

#12 ·
As for driving around town, My olds with a 125 thm (yes it's a fwd):rolleyes: has been manually shifted and downshifted all the time, yes all the way up to 5000rpm on the downshift and it's a chain drive tranny at that. It's taken everything I've thrown at it so I wouldnt worry about manually shifting it at all. Keep it out of OD until the highway, less od shifting is better. ('cause shifting is the result of frictions on the clutch plates, less shift = less friction)

just to answer the original question
sorry for the double post, got sidetracked

Hollywooding :cool:

#14 ·
My setup is nothing crazy.350, Vortec Heads,Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap,Holley 670 , cam is 224,230 @ 50 477,480. My gears are only 3,42:1(not exactly for race I know) but it really moves on the Highway.I don't get a bog off the line, but as I said it doesn't seem to get going until over 2200 RPM's then it seems to go.This is in regular drive,not shifting.
I wasn't looking for an off the line car when I decided on these parts, I just thought with the extra HP I would feel it over the whole spectrum not just at 2200+.
This is why I asked about the shifting wondering if that is a good alternative.

#15 ·
That is normal the car should move a bit under 2200 when you give it slowly but when you give it lots (wot) it will hook arround 2200 that is your stall. Your gear is low and takes more power to take off your stall should be ok with the setup you have.If you would have say a 4.10 you would notice a big difference.
Just my 2 cents

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.