manufactured vs in-house seat covers - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009, 09:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

manufactured vs in-house seat covers

I was just curious, when doing an interior restoration, do you guys ever use pre manufactured seat covers/interiors or is everything made in your shop. I have a couple of examples. A 57 Chevy front seat cover (made to original materials/design) lists at about $400.00. A pair of Monte Carlo swivel bucket vinyl seat covers (also to original) list for about $250.00/pair. It would appear to me that it would take more in labor and materials to build the bucket covers that to puchase them premade. If a customer is cost concious, would the premade covers be a viable option, or would it be a risk in terms of fit and quality? Just wanted to get some expert opinions.\

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009, 06:20 AM

Last photo:

I'm not an expert. But i just did some work on my car. Stock replacement seat covers you can buy for 350. Once my stock covers were apart. Found a little tag that said made in Mexico. Very cheaply made. No sew foam at all. Foam was very cheap and provided no extra support. So cheap it was like not having any. Seams were anywhere from 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch. They should be 3/8's all the way around. To make a long story short. They were made as cheap as possible. Every part and piece of material was the cheapest money can buy. I spent more on my leather hide then what my stock seats cost. Bottom line is, you get what you pay for. Its like comparing a Yugo to a Mercedes. Just to give you an idea. Here's a couple of pics. You see the stock panel and the replacement i made. I used 1/2 inch sew foam with backing. Glued down with high heat and very good quality glue. Double stitched around the edges. Then it will be stitch again on a 1/2 inch. Total of three times around each panel. Stock one is vinyl with 1/4 inch cheap foam glued to it. Stitched one time anywhere from 1/4 to a 1/2 inch. Good luck on your project. Tim edit.......I should of said "Mustang compared to a Mercedes". Because pics are of my new Mustang and it really is poor quality for what I paid for it. Very unhappy after I seen what I got for my hard eared money.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seats1.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	37316   Click image for larger version

Name:	seats2.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	37317   Click image for larger version

Name:	seats3.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	37318   Click image for larger version

Name:	seats4.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	37319  

Last edited by Wantabe; 03-31-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:18 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

It depends. If you want the car seats to look original, there are some materials that are hard to duplicate so you may be better off using pre-made seat covers. The seat foam can be tricked up to help the pre-made seat covers fit and look better, but in general, these seat covers are not made well and are of poorer quality to keep the price down. You also should remember that whoever sewed the seats together was getting paid by how fast they sewed, not by how well they sewed.

Corvette owners generally want their 'Vettes to look as original as possible. Look at this thread for how to "help" the old seat foam. CLICK HERE

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 03-31-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:36 PM

Thanks for the opinions. I realize that producers of production seat covers are in it to make a buck, just like the rest of us. I was thinking that with the technology available for reproducing patterns, cutting, etc. that a high quality reproduction could be obtained at a savings to the customer when compared to the labor involved in doing the project from scratch. (For some reason original style covers intimidate me somewhat, I would rather spend my time creating custom interiors) Quality reproductions are probably out there, but I guess I would want to see it before I order it. Today I had a set of buckets (with embossing in the vinyl) from a 66 GTO come in. I guess this would be an example of a seat that I would need to order a reproduction cover to restore. This owner is not restoring the car to an "original condition" show car, so he decided he liked the idea of simulating the original pattern by stitching it into some ultraleather.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.