Hot Rod Forum banner

Marbilizer paint?

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Kevin45 
#1 ·
I painted a car of mine while i was still working it was lilac marbilizer over black base. i wanted to know can i get the same colour without the marbilizer effect by just spraying a coat of lilac pearl straight over the top of the black base without mixing anything in with the pearl?
If not would it be alright to mix some lilac pearl into my clear coat and do one coat with the lilac pearl in it and like one or two coats of just clear?

Also my gun keeps playing up i have a devilbiss spray gun and cant get it to spray too well so when i do spray a car it ends up streaky, i think it's the fluid tip but could it be my compressor? (lack of air)

Dust, any easy ways of keeping this off your fresh coat of paint or clear? other than spraying it in a spray booth as all i have is a garagei try to get the garage as dust free as possible, blow the car of dust before it's put in the garage wet the ground just before painting, still am having to wet sand and buff almost the whole car, im just sick of it even if it ends up looking real good, but i just wont it to look real good with no buffing afterwards ya know.

Lastly..
I see a lot of wicked paint jobs on American cars mainly lowrider how is this done??

Any links

Being from New Zealand i have to say you dont see that type of work to much it's wicked. thanks for the help in adavnce,

See less See more
#2 ·
BJT, I've painted alot of custom cars and bikes so I would be glad to help you come out with one of those "wicked" paint jobs, just give me a rephrence or a picture to go by and I'll tell you how it was done and how you can acomplish it.

Now to answer your question. If I'm understanding this correctly you sprayed a base coat of black and then a lilac marbilizer? Do you have any pictures of that paint to show me so I completely understand the color your trying for? If so send it to my E-mail, or give me the link.

Now, If I'm understanding this correctly, the answer to your first question would be yes. A black base coat with a lilac pearl would give you the same/simular color without the marbalized effect. In short depending on how much pearl you put in the paint the car will be black but under lights or at certain angles of the sun it will look lilac or a black with a light dusting or heavy dusting of the pearls irrodecants.

As to your second question I regret to inform you that the problem your describing isn't a faulty or unoperable spray gun its the person behind the gun. The problem you described is called "tiger striping". This is common with an inexsperienced painter(even some exsperienced) It happens with metalic paints, pearl, marbalizers, candies, transparent paints and the new kamelion or like paints. It is cause by the painter not overlapping due to transparency(hard to see paints) The only way to keep this to a minimun is to have a well lit spray area and good eyes as well as a carful spray pattern. Its worst with pearls because its so hard to see. Over lap your spray pattern slightly maby a 1/4 of your last spray, but thats just a guidline, with exsperience comes knowledge.

To answer your third question, the only way to keep the dust s debree out of your fresh paint without the use of a spray booth is to make a "makeshift" spray booth. The reason a garage doesn't work very well is because there are ceilings and age old dirt and creepy crawlies and God knows whatelse in them. Plus they are frequented and things get sprayed in them, sanded, moved etc etc etc. Arosal sprays can stay in the air for days or even weeks if the rooms not well ventalated. Dust and other debree will come from anything, from a really drunk moth, to a scurrying spider on your garage door channels. Make a quick spraybooth and spray outside that way everythings new and hasn't had the chance to build up nasties. make a frame from PVC pipe and cover it in tarps or clear plastic. I myself use clear plastic over the top, and use some emergency blankets on the sides all held together by duct tape. The use of emergency blankets on a hot day make a oven and relects the heat to cure the paint faster. Make sure to use the proper safety equipment like a fresh air system in any enclosed area while or after painting untill well ventalated. E-mail me if you need further help.

All great paint jobs require sanding and buffing at the end, very few people if any can turn out a show quality paint job without it. Just remember, a good paint job starts with great prep work.

HK

[ August 30, 2002: Message edited by: Halloweenking ]

[ August 30, 2002: Message edited by: Halloweenking ]</p>

#3 ·
Hey HK
Thanks for your reply
I'll be on the lookout for some pics of the wicked paintjobs i mentioned, And also a car that looks similar to how mine was (dont have any pics of it) or how i want the next one to look.

I kinda had a feeling the tiger stripe problem was from my technique cause for me it always happens on bonnets but my fluid tip is a bit munted my gun is a devilbiss which is pretty old and wasnt too expensive when i bought it new considering prices of my other workmates spray guns. so i thought maybe i could put a little of the blame on that.

Thanks for the makeshift booth idea to i never really thought about doing something like that, the best i could think up was a double garage with a moveable wall you pull in when you want to paint, the wall s having a peice of white aluminium sheets over the gib same as the roof with some good lights and a few heat lamps and so on, And i do like to think my prep work is pretty good as all i did for a whole year when i started at that paint shop was prep cars, but hey gotta start somwhere eh

Thanks for your reply

#4 ·
i am new to this board i build lowriders but i respect the custom work that the hot rodders do....
this car is mine but, keep in mind it's still under construction....

here's a pic. of one of my lowriders....the most recent project....

<a href="http://community.webshots.com/photo/40753875/45965800FSkUEE" target="_blank">http://community.webshots.com/photo/40753875/45965800FSkUEE</a>

[ January 04, 2003: Message edited by: SWITCHCRAFT ]</p>

#5 ·
Bjt..If the stripes are on the bonnet which I believe is what we call the roof or top of the car it sounds to me like you are not holding the gun horizontal but are tilting it to get all the way across the top. What you may need is a box to stand on to be able to get a little higher with a little longer reach. You can build a box but make it long enough to stretch at least the length of the door. While you are at it make two. One for each side. That way you can go from one side of the roof to the other without wasting time in between. Just be sure to throw the airhose over your shoulder and do not lean into anything below you. Also make sure to slide each box out of the way after shooting the roof so as to not trip over it before you go on to the hood and trunk. Just a suggestion.

Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.