Hot Rod Forum banner

March 2013 Hot Rod Art Contest: 70's Cars

8K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  Kartoon 
#1 ·
Our February 2013 art contest winner Kartoon has selected "70's" as the topic for this month's art contest. Cars only, no trucks or vans.

This month, the winner gets a $50 gift certificate to Speedway Motors.

Voting will take place in the last week of March, so please have all entries posted by the 25th.

Thanks to all participants and voters!

#2 ·
The Spanish Fly..... A 1970"s Flashback

!970"s Cars Cool....The High School years on the north coast was grand for those gear heads that like to move a mile per minute. The Muscle Cars , Custom Built rides And the rides you built for recreation. The beach was a hang out with plenty of space to run and lots of hangouts to party. The VW bug was a awesome built as a Baja Bug. It is a almost go anywhere rig. The VW beetle was built in the U.S. until 1976 . When Drawing this toon I thought back to the horny High school guy who would do anything to score..... Back in the 1970's all the High School guys was talking and asking each other. is the pill Spanish Fly . real and does it work?????? The urban legend was a great topic for teen age boys. In reality Spanish Fry is made of ground up Beetles and used for livestock not humans. So the Toon goes, Spanish Fly season is open. Signed : Vagabond Artist Lincoln Highway Johnny.

Attachments

#21 ·
Keeping with the Ford versus GM, here's a couple of 70's muscle cars at a used car lot for sale. Those were the days, when you could actually see a few of these gems for sale in a used car lot for reasonable money. My, how times have changed!
Great stuff, Brickyard. Reminds me of the days when I used to search out CARtoons Magazine and Hot Rod Cartoons. I have fond memories of both those.
Been busy this month but will push to get something in.

#15 ·
BB, I can remember when I turned 18, my dad and I were shopping for a car. I had a Ford F100,,I thought I was the man 4 wheel drive and 8 track..man. I was driving down Noland road here in KC one day, and I saw a 70,SS Chevelle with a 2 speed automatic,, and I was crazy for this car,,It was at a car lot. My case in point, is your drawing reminds me so much of that day. Thanks for the memories with my dad..

Dan.

#17 ·
Thanks Dan. I can remember way back, when I first saw the car carrier unloading the new 1968 Mopars (Super Bee, Charger, RoadRunner, GTX) I was in awe. I had read about them, and now I was standing there watching these awesome beasts roll off the truck, listening to the throaty exhaust. I knew that I just had to have one of these beasts. It wasn't long, and I owned a '68 Charger RT. I was a young married guy with a mediocre job, but I went out on a limb and bought the car, and never regretted it. That Charger was one of the greatest cars I've ever owned!!

#18 ·
What a great story! The Charger has always been of a favorite of mine too, but I fell in love with the RT in Bullit,, with Steve Mqueen, what a movie that was. My good friend had a 70 Challenger, it was a clean car. I've been a Ford guy to since I was a kid. I've had two Ford cars that were my favorite, I had 70 Boss 302, man that car was crazy!! It was all factory beautiful car, Red Shaker hood and window. I also had a 67 GT 500,, tha car was absolutely the nicest car I've ever owned,, I sold it to Legendary Motorsports in 2000. I've been really blessed to have had the cars that I've had man..Sorry to ramble on..

#25 · (Edited)
1978 Trans Am

I chose this car,, because in 79 I was living in Colorado, and I don't how I got the money but I bought a 1977 TA,I was 21 yrs old and,, I was on my way to tickets!! and didnt know it!! Anyway, and so the story goes..four speeds and tickets... LOL! my friend Les, here in KC, wanted me to draw him a 78 Black TA, so here it is.. He hasn't seen it yet.

Attachments

#29 ·
Those 1970"s memories

I been on the road, and any from the sight. It is the 100 year of the Lincoln Highway this year ,so I have a lot to do Historical talks and showing my historical drawings of the road. First Thanks Kartoon for the Likes on the Spanish Fly Drawing. That Trans Am Reminds me of a 1976 black bird I traded into in 1982. A guy built the car to look stock , but it was the only Bird I know that would glide and suspension preform at 130 miles per hour. I took it up highway 101 once when a TR7 . triumph came up the fast lane . We went at it for awhile when I notched a red light in my rear view mirror. The CHP"s had those 1970"s mustangs with police interceptor engine . I got away but that TR7 got his...Signed Vagabond Artist Lincoln Highway Johnny.

#31 ·
I remember those State Police Mustangs. Dad got pulled over by an unmarked version for doing 75 in a 55...in Connecticut. We never saw him coming. We were in Dad's mid-80's LeBaron GTS Turbo. (That was actually a really fun car; quick and nimble.) Other people were going faster but I guess we got pegged for the out of state plates. Unmarked those Mustangs were not only fast but sneaky too.
Thanks for the kind words, Kartoon. I like the TA too. I can almost see Burt and Sally in the front seat now. I think your friend will love it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.