Hot Rod Forum banner

March Pulley Alignment

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  DeathRattle 
#1 ·
I have multiple dilemmas laying at my feet on my pulleys/brackets for my SBC. They are all made by march performance and from the same kit all made to be used in conjunction with a proform electric water pump. I don't have the power steering pump yet so I don't know if this is an issue yet but the alternator definitely is out of whack. Using a level laying flat across the crank pulley the alternator is 3/8" behind. I immediately thought the balancer must not be on all the way so I got my moroso installer out and I cannot get it go on any farther (its been on for a month already/could be problem).

Which leads me to question one: What is the clearance from timing cover to back of balancer ring? I have a puller to take the balancer off if need be.
Question two:If I do take it off should I try beating it on with pipe on inner ring instead of the moroso tool that draws it on with a bearing and nut?
I dont think the alternator is any issue but I am open to any suggestions regarding it. Its a GM 1 wire from made by JEGS and I took the v belt pulley off and put on the serp belt pulley and thats it regarding the alternator.

I know it would be bad to run a belt on a motor with that much lateral difference. Thanks for reading, thinking, and for any replies.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you for the response. The way the pulley sits on the shaft of alternator ( a ok) shouldnt be a problem (I think) its supposed to work with any GM alternator. I would imagine the same shaft/case/fan dimensions are used between the v belt and serp pulley alternators. I think its the balancer. Im really waiting to see if anyone has a dimension for the face of timing cover to back of outer ring of their balancer. I may need to just take it off as i may have a burr or on the key or in the balancer. It didnt when I put it on but maybe I need to try the beat on method rather than the moroso bearing/nut pusher.

#6 ·
I went out last night to look at my 66elky. But as luck would have it, it has one of those skinny balancers on it-(original 327 replaced with a 305), so that did no good.

So, then I opened the hood of the 59 to have a look-see, the balancer is about
3/8" from the front cover---could even be 1/4". But this car has a 454 GenVI in it. Not sure if this will help you, but I at least made an attempt :D .

My remaining Chev is also a 454---so I did not even bother to go look at that one.--The rebuilt in the garage, yep, you guessed it---454.

The other 3 vehicles are Fords :( so those won't help, but I tried.

Bryan

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies. Johnson and bryan I thinnk your definitely right on this. Stock balancers are a lot thinner than the one i have. About 3/8" to 1/2" tinner. After thinking about the simple things like balancer not on all the way it finally occurred to me my balancer is thicker than stock. Its a bracket racer damper made by summit. I wanted a sfi damper for whatever reason. I feel like I should have rode the shorter yellow bus as a child. Im just going to have to buy some hardened washers and space out the brackets and buy longer bolts.
To begin with March did not send me all the bolts so I was held up on that at first, but this time its not Marchs fault the system is obviously designed for stock thickness dampers. That has to be the situation.
Thanks again for the replies and bryan and johnsongrass for your effort in checking out your set ups.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.