Marge's radio died. :( Any ideas? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2014, 06:51 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
Blasphemy!! Tech old Man you just don't understand. Old tube type radio's have a entirely different sound. You can't make toast over a modern radio but you can over the warm glow of a old tube type radio. You can't read a map by the light of a modern radio but you can from the light emitted from a tube type radio. Stuck in a ice storm, try defrosting your fingers with a modern radio . Those chips and gizmo's won't help you but salvation will come from grasping a 12BGE or the like. If Brian were to abandon that old Motorola in Marge, why She might have to change her name to Tiffany or Ashley or some such.
No Brian, tap that vibrator or push those tubes back in their sockets. There's life still in the old girls innereds yet!

BB

Vacuum Tube Car Radio Motorola 300 - YouTube

Transistor the sound is not the same as the old tube type
remember Tommy James ,Tommy Roe and the Ventures Wipe Out,the just don't sound the same now, My brother had a old 50 ford flat head 6 ,But it had a good radio that is all that mattered back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 06:57 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Oooooo, Tommy Roe and the Ventures Wipe Out and you reach under the dash click it over to Reverb!

BB
Old 01-28-2014, 07:06 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
Oooooo, Tommy Roe and the Ventures Wipe Out and you reach under the dash click it over to Reverb!

BB

Later after I was old enough to drive my Dad bought me a 65 GTO with the reverb and a 45 record changer ,thought that was Cooool,
Old 01-28-2014, 07:20 PM

Last journal entry: New Rev wheels and BFG KDW II tires
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Nice,
I have an old Marantz in my shop and the volume switch is going out. One speaker cuts out when I dial it up for a good tune and I have to "play" with it to get the speaker back. Any idea where I might get a replacement switch ?
Sounds like it just needs to be cleaned. Pretty typical of vintage stuff after all these years the contacts get dirty. Deoxit D5 is very good stuff.

Be careful of some contact cleaners as they can be harmful to plastics and some don't have a lubricant. They might clean it but won't provide the lubrication the contacts need.

Amazon.com: Hosa Cable D5S6 Deoxit Contact Cleaner Spray: Musical Instruments Amazon.com: Hosa Cable D5S6 Deoxit Contact Cleaner Spray: Musical Instruments

I've got a Marantz 2385 too. Wish I had the optional wood cabinet for her.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:16 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by killeratrod View Post
yes sir ,and i will take it one step further . I buy, sell & trade Vinyl records & turntables , Mics. Hell anything music. side thing!!
I have a USB turntable sitting atop my stereo system. Not lucky enough to have a tube amp. I have an Onkyo A-7040 that was made in 1981, tuner is a Pioneer TX-6500II ( 1977 vintage ) and my CD changer is a Marantz CC-52 made in 1991.. All of it works great togther, and I can record and split the vinyl tracks into MP3's if I choose.. My vinyl collection expands fairly rapidly when the local thrift stores get new vinyl in.. $.50-$1 per record and many are in VGC++ condition.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:28 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

At one point I had a pair of bridged David Haffler DH250's - one per channel, (running 500 W per channel) driven off a Soundcraftsman Pre-amp/equalizer, pushing into Cambridge Audio Towers. Used a Heath FM tuner and a McKay-Dymek AM tuner. Still have the C/A towers, but using a 1970's Sony receiver to drive them now
Old 01-28-2014, 09:40 PM
Heathen

Last photo:

Martin,
I just happen to have a "Sams Photofact Auto Radio series" repair book from April 1969. My memory is a little dim, what kind of car is "Marge"? See if you can find a make or model # on the radio and I'll tell you if this book covers it. If it does I'll send it to you as a late Xmas gift!
Old 01-28-2014, 09:42 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

I'll check out to see the brand. Thanks, and thanks everyone for the tips. I am thinking the cleaning may help the one in the Gran Sport too, it's pot is all goofed up and when you turn the volume it cracks big time.

Brian
Old 01-28-2014, 09:43 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Brian: There are about a zillion Rambler radio parts on E-bay. Also found radio service manuals for Rambler Radios, too.

Also on the internet there are many many places that specialize in fixing old automotive radios, so if you want to keep Marge all original, there are many options
Old 01-28-2014, 10:54 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210 View Post
Brian: There are about a zillion Rambler radio parts on E-bay. Also found radio service manuals for Rambler Radios, too.

Also on the internet there are many many places that specialize in fixing old automotive radios, so if you want to keep Marge all original, there are many options
I may have time this weekend to pull it out. I think I have the fake knobs to put in it's place so it doesn't look naked.

I have planned on adding a stereo to her but I will want the original radio in the dash.

Brian
Old 01-29-2014, 07:27 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Motorola manufactured your radio Brian. And Dave is right. Ebay's full of them!

BB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images (8).jpg
Views:	19
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	117225  
Old 01-29-2014, 09:25 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

I got a solution...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	broken-radio-209x300.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	117337  
Old 01-30-2014, 03:55 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64SS327 View Post
Sounds like it just needs to be cleaned. Pretty typical of vintage stuff after all these years the contacts get dirty. Deoxit D5 is very good stuff.

Be careful of some contact cleaners as they can be harmful to plastics and some don't have a lubricant. They might clean it but won't provide the lubrication the contacts need.

Amazon.com: Hosa Cable D5S6 Deoxit Contact Cleaner Spray: Musical Instruments

I've got a Marantz 2385 too. Wish I had the optional wood cabinet for her.

Yes, that looks just like mine...

So do I take the volume control out to clean it or can it be blown out with the case removed ?
Old 01-30-2014, 06:41 PM

Last journal entry: New Rev wheels and BFG KDW II tires
Last photo:

You don't have to take it out. Try removing the bottom cover and you should be able to see it. There are usually small holes in the "pots" that you can spray the cleaner into. When you do that, move the control back and forth several times. Repeat this process a couple times.

Put the cover back on and let it dry out. It should be good after an hour or so. Don't turn it on until you let it dry out and then test it out.

Sometimes it will take a few cleanings before all the scratchiness is gone. If you can't get it to clean up the pot may be worn out. Then you will have to scour Ebay for someone that is parting one out.

It depends on how popular the model is how much luck you will have if you need to find another one. Usually they aren't all that difficult to solder a replacement in if you need to do so.
The Following User Says Thank You to 64SS327 For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (01-30-2014)

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.