Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   marine 383 hi torque (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/marine-383-hi-torque-226644.html)

gerry rautenbach 11-29-2012 01:57 PM

marine 383 hi torque
 
what parts will i need to use to build hi torque 383 stroker marine motor

vinniekq2 11-29-2012 04:01 PM

high velocity heads with quick burn chambers,low icl cam,fuel injection,high velocity intake manifold.high velocity exhaust,all parts tuned for the ideal RPM of the application.make sure your fuel requirements match CR

Richiehd 11-29-2012 04:06 PM

Why all the torque? 383 will probably peak torque @ 5500. You need to go faster? You need RPM. How heavy a boat? and what are you looking to do?

vinniekq2 11-29-2012 04:22 PM

richiehd,what 383 that you know of has peak torque @ 5500 RPM?

I wouldnt want to run a boat engine above 4,000 myself.Thats where I would set my max power unless it was a racing boat or ski boat?

Richiehd 11-29-2012 04:57 PM

Thats why I asked what he was running. We run our race skiffs up to 7400rpm with 283 power. The river boats we try and limit to 6400. No transmission, direct drive. More rpm, more speed.

Richiehd 11-29-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinniekq2 (Post 1617178)
richiehd,what 383 that you know of has peak torque @ 5500 RPM?

I wouldnt want to run a boat engine above 4,000 myself.Thats where I would set my max power unless it was a racing boat or ski boat?

My bad, I went back to the Dyno sheet 541 Torque @ 5071 Rpm. Dart Block 402 C.I. Small Block. Sorry was thinking old 383.

hcompton 11-29-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richiehd (Post 1617201)
Thats why I asked what he was running. We run our race skiffs up to 7400rpm with 283 power. The river boats we try and limit to 6400. No transmission, direct drive. More rpm, more speed.

How many gallons per mile does the boat get like that.

Usally a tq 383 does not mean 20k pro dart built block. That sounds like a 600hp engine.

He should be able to turn a pretty fat prop with a 4000/4500 rpm tq peak. Should also not be to bad on gas at part throttle and still move a larger boat.

I do understand if its for racing tq is not what hes looking for. I hear the same thing from the 4x4 guys always want max tq engine and really need a peaky high rpm screamer.

Not sure about how good they are but just got a compete SS bolt kit from ebay. Bolts are grade 8 or 5 Mostly 8. It was dirt cheap and they look great but i cant say i soaked them in salt water for a month to see how good they really are. Stuff on boats rust even if it is marked stainless.

205pc SB Chevy Stainless Hex Engine Bolt Kit | eBay

Richiehd 11-30-2012 05:07 AM

[QUOTE=hcompton;1617261]How many gallons per mile does the boat get like that.

That sounds like a 600hp engine.

He should be able to turn a pretty fat prop with a 4000/4500 rpm tq peak. Should also not be to bad on gas at part throttle and still move a larger boat.

QUOTE]

Yeah, his skiff will burn through 20 gals of gas on a day river cruise, no problem. 523 HP to be exact. Spins a pretty big 2 blade @ about 80 mph.
Funny thing though, I turn my 283 6500 and run right there about 77 MPH, so big cubes and HP isn't everything. Drag and handling become real important when it comes to going fast on water.

gerry rautenbach 11-30-2012 05:24 AM

hi torque 383
 
i have never built a motor for a boat. i know it is a fairly heavy boat it will be for fun and skiing mainly it originally was a 305 then 350 now upgrade to 383 with carb.i have heard of so many combo's but being in South Africa parts are fairly expensive so i want to do it right first time i would like a complete list of a combo that works if at all possible i presume the max revs will not be higher than 5000 ?

vinniekq2 11-30-2012 09:35 AM

Dart SHP 180cc Straight Plug Aluminum Heads,GM Hi-Performance 4 Bolt Block(new), Hydraulic Roller Camshaft,edelbrock performer(air gap),nodular or better internal balanced 3,75 stroke cam,hyper or forged pistons,keep compression around 9-9 1/4 for a boat, the engine like this would cost me about $7,500,not cheap and likely 430-440 hp at 5,200 RPM.
power can be adjusted up or down as required,your choice.Im thinking an engine that will last years and be reliable.
are you planning to use fuel injection or carb? for skiing F.I. would be nicer. what kind of exhaust manifolds are you using? wet or dry?
an engine like this would make around 300 hp as low as 3,000 rpm with peak torque around there depending on camshaft chosen.
When I built my 434 I purchased my parts from eastern states and had them air freighted to Vancouver Canada,it was cheaper to ship than the hood I bought in California and had sent by truck.Look into freight costs and see if you can get a package sent?

ap72 11-30-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinniekq2 (Post 1617417)
Dart SHP 180cc Straight Plug Aluminum Heads,GM Hi-Performance 4 Bolt Block(new), Hydraulic Roller Camshaft,edelbrock performer(air gap),nodular or better internal balanced 3,75 stroke cam,hyper or forged pistons,keep compression around 9-9 1/4 for a boat, the engine like this would cost me about $7,500,not cheap and likely 430-440 hp at 5,200 RPM.
power can be adjusted up or down as required,your choice.Im thinking an engine that will last years and be reliable.
are you planning to use fuel injection or carb? for skiing F.I. would be nicer. what kind of exhaust manifolds are you using? wet or dry?
an engine like this would make around 300 hp as low as 3,000 rpm with peak torque around there depending on camshaft chosen.
When I built my 434 I purchased my parts from eastern states and had them air freighted to Vancouver Canada,it was cheaper to ship than the hood I bought in California and had sent by truck.Look into freight costs and see if you can get a package sent?

Although a 180cc runner is about right I wouldn't use the SHP heads, if you're going to spend the money for some nice ones I'd look into some Profilers for an "as cast" head.

SBC 23 Degree Cylinder Heads

If you plan on taking this thing up to 6,000 rpm often you may want to consider the 195cc version.

vinniekq2 11-30-2012 10:53 AM

Gerry,you will need to decide what you need and at what RPM you will spend the most time.If you want more power than what I stated,then you will need bigger parts like what AP72 said.

the sky is the limit or wallet?

1Gary 11-30-2012 12:36 PM

Here is some of Richard's work with me on 383 torquer:

Custom cam 206/214, 106/113/109.5, 0.420"/0.420, (-3)(29)(40)(-6) installed straight up.
Streetmaster intake manifold (1st design).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Edelb...Q5fAccessories
RPM HP TQ
1000 88 461
1500 149 521
2000 204 535
2500 247 520
3000 289 506
3500 319 478
4000 346 455
4500 357 417
5000 348 366
5500 319 305
Peak BMEP 210.8 @2000. This is some serious cylinder pressure, so a very tight squish (I would be thinkin' 0.035" to 0.040" with a D-cup piston) would be mandatory to prevent detonation on pump gas.

Do think it would work well in a marine application.

ap72 11-30-2012 12:47 PM

no way in hell will you have 535ftlbs at 2,000 RPM on any NA sbc 383 that runs on pump gas.

vinniekq2 11-30-2012 01:12 PM

1Gary,what heads were you using?and combustion chambers?
what stroke was the 383?Thats a big spread of HP and torque.The hp looks correct and Ive used that intake a couple times with great success. I was looking for slightly more HP via a slightly bigger cam,perhaps put in 2 degrees early.and wasnt expecting quite that much torque,but that chart looks fantastic.

was it 3.8 stroke ??


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.