Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Marine 454 in a 55'
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 06:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalturk1 View Post
I have a chance to buy a 454 marine engine just pulled from a freshwater boat, for $1,700 (Low hours). The owner says it has 330 horsepower and the cylinder cranking pressure is 180 lbs. in each cylinder (Sounds high).
Not being a Marine mechanic, I was wondering if this would be a good choice to put in my recently purchased 55' Chevy with a Turbo 350 or 400 trans
and a 9" Ford rear-end (3:73). I'm looking for low-end torque, not high-revving horsepower. The water pump and exhaust manifolds need changing, maybe the cam & distributor too. Adding to that the carb is probably set-up differently, but I'm wondering about the back of the crankshaft mating to the flywheel. Water circulation I'm told, may be difficult because of the way marine engines flow (Even though the engine turns clockwise) and what about heater hose outlets.
I'm looking for someone that is sure about these questions... Thanks.
****,.... That Marine motor is basically a Truck motor of that vintage, with Marine exhaust manifolds, 'n t-stat housing added to it....

The water pump is 'bout the same, but you'll need headers to replace the manifolds...
Ya might want a hotter cam, distributor will run just fine...
Crankshaft bolt pattern is determined by Vintage, 'n is the same as All BBCs..
Water circulation don't change other than the t-stat housin', 'n manifolds,...
'n, Btw, it's a standard Lefthanded motor, yer lookin' at the wrong end,...
Heater outlet/ inlet can be put whereever ya need 'em...

Treat it as if ya yanked it outa a Truck,...

Last edited by 68NovaSS; 03-29-2013 at 12:28 PM.