Marine 454 specs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011, 02:00 PM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Marine 454 specs

Hey guys. I came across a great deal on a marine 454. The only info I have on it right now is it is a marine gm 454. I am trying to get the casting number from the guy and the year. Whats different about theses big blocks compared to regular automobile 454s. Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2011, 02:56 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hi
When I read your question I became curious as to what was going on in the marine world, so I looked around some & came up with whats in the link. There is a post there from Curtis 73
so after reading whats in the link & you have more questions maybe PM Curtis. Boat questions don't come up often but I remember him responding to the posts that have come up. Hope it works out for you.
Rich
http://www.automotiveforums.com/t106..._cars____.html
Old 05-15-2011, 04:26 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by zildjian4life218
Hey guys. I came across a great deal on a marine 454. The only info I have on it right now is it is a marine gm 454. I am trying to get the casting number from the guy and the year. Whats different about theses big blocks compared to regular automobile 454s. Thanks!
Check to see if it's a reverse rotation engine before you install it in anything. A backward spinning engine in a car or truck would make going places a little difficult.

The older engines don't always turn very many RPM. The '93 351 in my boat tops out at 4000 rpm. The newer, higher powered engines do spin higher though.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:32 PM

Last photo:

Not much different than a truck motor really. Probably has peanut port heads and cast flat top pistons. Funky steel things around the valve springs. Should be able to pull 5000 PPM if the valve springs are in good shape. Typically rated about 320 HP.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Im not too concerned about the camshaft. It will be replaced with something with a more desirable power band i was just curious if they put anything special in the bottom ends of these. I have heard BBC cast cranks will hold around 800hp any idea about the rods? Thanks for the replies so far!

Last edited by zildjian4life218; 05-15-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:38 PM

Last photo:

Most of these engines are cast cranks. As previously stated, they are just truck engines. Better head gaskets and a slightly different cam profile. Higher horsepower ones have roller cams and 3/8 pushrods. They make power to 4500 rpm.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Does anyone have any input on the connecting rods on a BBC?
Old 05-16-2011, 05:55 AM

Last photo:

There are several different production rods used in BBC motors. 3/8 or 7/16 bolts. Half a dozen different styles in each size. Stock rods are usually good for a performance build if you change the bolts and size the big ends.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:41 AM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com
There are several different production rods used in BBC motors. 3/8 or 7/16 bolts. Half a dozen different styles in each size. Stock rods are usually good for a performance build if you change the bolts and size the big ends.
any idea what hp range the rods would be good to if I had them resized and had new bolts put in them? rpm would be around 6000 max.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:19 AM

Last photo:

You really need to get the block and head #'s. Could be peanut ports or a fully forged package with 990's (MP 454 comes to mind). Most late model bbc's are in the 310-390hp range.

Basically truck motors.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:45 PM

Last photo:

Marine Big Block

If you can find one, get this book by Dennis Moore; Big Block Marine Performance. It is very detailed with the differences between marine and passenger car engines. It includes tons of part and casting numbers, how to ID the super duty marine engines, how to modify for maximum performance, etc. I bought mine for $16.95 from Books a Million. It allowed me to ID a extreme duty 502 as constructed by Mercruiser. It is built with the best of everything Chevrolet has to offer(all forged internals, GM performance Bowtie block,etc.) It appears this book is getting hard to find, but its worth finding.

Here is just one excerpt from the book on the differences; "Generally, Mark IV blocks, with the tapped holes over the oil filter(for a remote oil cooler), drilled and tapped holes for the camshaft thrust plate, and reliefs cut into the tops of the bores for unshrouding the intake valves, have four bolt mains and are referred to as high performance or marine blocks. If it has none of these features, it is referred to as a passenger block."

A few things to look for from myself are; If its a Mark IV block, look for the head casting #'s ending in 781 or 049 these are large oval port heads that offer good performance. Most of these engines have cast cranks and pistons but still offer great performance built right. Mark IV again, if you find head castings ending in 990, these are the rectangle port heads and likely a high performance engine with a forged crank and forged pistons and rods with the 7/16" bolts. You can see that the heads are a good indicator of what engine you have. There are some Gen V engines around with the crappy small oval port heads, these are casting #'s ending with 156. The Gen VI Vortecengines with the large oval port heads are casting #'s ending with 279, these are very different than the early large oval port. Finally the Gen V & VI heads with casting #'s ending in 088 are rectangle port heads and is likely a high performance forged internals engine.

If you get all the casting #'s I may be able to ID it. Look for any indication that the engine has been into because it maybe a rebuilt, which could be anything. Good Luck. olnolan
Old 05-16-2011, 03:18 PM

Last photo:

More

I forgot earlier, a quick way to ID a rectangle port marine engine is an intake with casting #6269318. Nolan
Old 05-16-2011, 03:28 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

That link from Richard Stewart pretty much sums it up. Almost all I/O engines after the mid 80s were normal rotation. The reverse prop rotation (if used) was handled in the transmission or the outdrive. My neighbor has an 87 with twin 350s. They both turn forward, but the starboard outdrive spins the prop backwards.

A quick way to tell (if the starter is still on it) is by looking at how the starter is mounted. Forward rotation marine engines use a stock-looking starter in the stock location. Reverse rotation engines mount the starter on the bellhousing pointing toward the back.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:41 PM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I haven't heard back from the person so it must be gone . I think I will get that book that olnolan suggested anyways that way I can hunt down one of the better ones. Seems like the cheaper route if you can find one for the right price!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.