Marine Epoxy Primer? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2005, 08:24 AM
Rich Lackey

Last journal entry: Rich Lackey is back on Hotrodders!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Marine Epoxy Primer?

Ok guys, just a quick question. The only epoxy primer I have found here in Cape Town is actually classified as a marine/industrial coating, everyone I have phoned has tried to talk me out of using it on my car. They all say that though I could use it on my car, but I should rather use a self etching primer.

I want an epoxy, for crying out loud! So I finally convinced someone to sell me 5L of the stuff, I checked out the product on the web and lo and behold all the information given was about priming oil tankers, dockyard cranes and container ships.

I want to know, with all the talk of epoxy in this forum you would have thought it was standard practice in auto refinishing, but everyone treats me like some kind of freak.

As I am not painting a container ship, (and what good would 5 litres do me even if I was), should I be worried? As far as I have heard, epoxy primer is epoxy primer... two parts, mixed 1:1

This is the right stuff, right?

Hope someone can help, I'm buying it tomorrow.

Rich

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2005, 08:45 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

i would

I would use it..that is tough stuff and will give a good protection to your metal..use it on the chassis parts as well..

Color coat should go just fine..

Since I have found an epoxy primer that is all I use on everything..

OMT
Old 03-23-2005, 10:25 AM

Last photo:

since i used to work in the marine industry i used alot of that more industrial epoxy and it was good. i did notice that its much thicker, and we used to brush it on all the running gear. i think you should be fine but if its thick find out what the company recommends for reducer and also take note of the recoat window. i know most of the automotive stuff is around 7 days but this may be different. personally i would epoxy it then spray your 2k primer over the epoxy within anywhere from 3 to 18 hours depending on temp, however if you have a tech sheet follow the instruction there.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:36 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

I didn't SEE this when I posted in rick's thread.
It's a good coating and reduction may be necessary for you to shoot it right.
Think about it... Ships,salt water,oil........
Old 03-23-2005, 07:57 PM

Last photo:

If I had to guess at gun point, I would assume a marine epoxy would work on a car.
I know nothing about Marine epoxies!

I know some of you like Sam and Jim do. The only thing I would like to say is know what the open coat time is, know whats required for prep and don't assume is the same as automotive.
I said before, you can buy floor epoxy from home depot for $20 a kit but its made to do one thing and it will not work on a car.
Epoxy can be made many ways and we are lucky that in the automotive aftermarket everyone follows the basic 7 day open coat times.
Get your tech sheets, to be safe.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:25 PM

Last photo:

5 liters really isn't all that much product IMO, if your doing the jambs, trunk, underhood, firewall and complete exterior you'll end up needing more. I've used some industrial epoxies for automotive work with good results, one example is PPG's CRE-CT, which is very thick and takes quite awhile to lock up but all in all a very good product IMO- it may be similar to what you have. You could do some testing before applying it to your car. Post a link to the tech sheet or product info. Bob
Old 03-23-2005, 10:20 PM
Rich Lackey

Last photo:

Heres the info I have found. It's a Japanese company but the paint is manufactured here in South Africa under license.

http://www.cmp.co.jp/english/contents_e.html

It won't take you right to the page, but if you follow the links through "product" then "marine field", then "cit-21", it's the BANNOH 500 multi purpose epoxy primer.

Maybe I should get 10L then as I will also be painting the frame and suspension components at a later stage.

There is another epoxy primer I have found, from an automotive source this time, but they will only sell me 10L minimum, and at a substantially higher price, it's refered to as AW255 but I had a hard time getting anyone to tell me what manufacturer it came from. They did say it was pretty much the best stuff I could get, and is also used on dockyard cranes, containers and such, so maybe I should rather go for that.

I'm going to give them a call again today and find out more info.

Thanks guys,

Rich
Old 03-23-2005, 10:29 PM

Last photo:

Marine epoxy

Just a observation.

I did a Studebaker Avanti last year ,a previous body shop sanded all of the paint, primer and gel coat off and left it setting for about 10 years. The owner brought me some gel coat it was marine gel coat. I had my doubts so I called Eckler corvette. They said not to even think about using the marine gelcoat.

I dont know if this would be the same with epoxy or not.

Just a thought.

Keith Daleen
Sedalia, Mo.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:04 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

The marine/industrial epoxy I have used seemed to have a bit more "body" than the automotive epoxy..Other than that I do not have a clue as to any difference in the chemistry of the stuff..

Marine gel coat is a completely different deal..they are used to provide UV protection to the glass and they are available in a limited color selection..Since the molds we use are very highly polished we can get a good shiny finish when we mold the parts..

The automotive parts that I had anything to do with were sometimes finished with gel coat and some times not depending on customer spec..Since painting the part gives the UV protection and also allows for custom colors a lot of auto glass parts are sent out without any gel coat on them..

Major thing Mr. Lackey faces is being in South Africa and not having the choices we have here in the US..so if he has the marine materials available well that seems to be the best available to him..

I would try and do a test panel to see just how the paint lays out..Also to see if the material is sandable..Might be good to know..?? The info from the website did not give a whole lot of info so it is a try and see deal..

My thoughts on this...

OMT
Old 03-24-2005, 12:11 AM
Rich Lackey

Last photo:

I'm glad I phoned them again, and spoke to a tech guy not a sales person. The epoxy they were trying to sell me is not the right stuff, it's got far too high solids as it's meant for airless spraying.

So, I called the other people (automotive paint guys this time) and ordered 10L of the more expensive stuff (almost twice the price), and this time got a confirmation from a technician that it is made specifically for automotive use and it can be reduced (the other stuff can't). It's being delivered this afternoon along with reducer and some metal cleaner/prep.

10L should be enough for the whole car plus frame hey?

Thanks for the input guys, I wouldn't be able to do this without the help of this board.

Rich
Old 03-24-2005, 04:14 AM
Rich Lackey

Last photo:

Well, I have the right primer now, it's sitting in my office waiting to come home with me.

I have the following:

5L epoxy base
5L epoxy curing agent
5L 2K reducer (but probably won't need it... been advised to shoot 1:1 straight)
5L laquer thinners (for cleaning the gun etc..)
5L metal cleaner/prep

And they delivered! Bonus!

I'm picking up my gun now before everthing shuts down for the long Easter weekend. I'm buying a high pressure gun because I can't seem to rent a HVLP compatible compressor anywhere. This gun will be just for primer though, I'm going to spend some real bucks on a professional HVLP gun later on.

Thanks guys, I have four days off work, and I'm going to spend all of it on my car!

I'll post pictures in my project journal when I'm done. Wish me luck!

Rich

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.