Marine Interior Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2009, 05:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Marine Interior Question

I decided to have someone else do my boat interior because I'm super busy at work. Nevertheless, on my boat there are interior cushions that wrap the Vbirth and sitting area, plus it has the V cushion in the middle which is removable when the table comes up. Currently I'm having the interior redone and the upholsterer made a mistake which I need some advice which way to proceed.

Initially we did a couple test cushions, one lower cushion and one back cushion. On the lower cushion he used piping on the entire perimeter of the cushion which was not the original way the interior was done. It made for a nice update and the piece looked very tailored.

I gave the guy the job and when I picked up a couple of the now finished lower cushions, he did not pipe them on the perimeter. I explained to him the difference and he could not remember the way he originally did it. He did explain though that he thinks that it would wear better without the piping vs. with the piping. He has no problem redoing the original cushion.

My question is this....

1. Do you feel that indeed the cushions will wear better WITHOUT the piping? I think I like the look better with the piping, but if it will wear better without, I will opt that way.

2. Do you think if the piping is ran around all the cushions, including the V cushion, that it would become intrusive on your body when you go to lay down for the night? If so, I will opt without the piping.

Attached below is a picture (not mine) of a cushion setup almost identical to what I'm working with. There is no piping in the picture on these cushions. Just imagine it with piping as a comparison.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Doug
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat interior.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	42099  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2009, 06:17 PM
johnnykool6 / fast unlimited

Last journal entry: Blown S-10 for sale
Last photo:

I reupholstered my own cushions without the piping, and first thing I noticed, was, it was way more comfortable. Not sure about the wear factor yet. It's only been a year and a half, but so far, so good! And I like the looks either way. Good luck!
Old 11-20-2009, 06:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnykool6
I reupholstered my own cushions without the piping, and first thing I noticed, was, it was way more comfortable. Not sure about the wear factor yet. It's only been a year and a half, but so far, so good! And I like the looks either way. Good luck!
Did you do a top stitch or just a single stitch from the back?

By the way, I saw you're from Harleysville? I grew up in Hatboro.

Doug
Old 11-21-2009, 05:41 AM
johnnykool6 / fast unlimited

Last journal entry: Blown S-10 for sale
Last photo:

Not sure of the sewing terminology! My first time as a 'seamster'! Hey... P.M. me for my phone and I can explain it better! Need any more boats??? BOAT= B-ust O-ut A-nother T-housand! (sure you heard that one and a million others!) As for Hatboro, where is that?? ha ha! I grew up in Warminster, but lived in Hatboro every other night! Cops nicknamed me "darkhorse". Drove a quick black small block '69 Mach 1, with 5.14's, shifting at 8600, that every Chevy guy around, big and small block, wanted to beat... BUT COULDN'T!!! Marchoviches Speed Shop, had a bounty out for my a**!! Even though I built fast Fords & Chevys! Sorry guys, Mopars... just can't be made to go fast!! (here we go!!). They just HATED being beat by a Ford! Man, those were the days! Thanks Doug, for the memories!!
Old 11-22-2009, 02:07 PM

Last photo:

Small world. I lived in Warminster from '81 to '88 back in Stover Mill (york/bristol rd). I moved to Hatboro at that point. I always hear stories how Hatboro used to be one of the cruising spots back then. It's too bad I never got to experience it. Sounds like you had a bad *** car back then. Any pics?

Doug
Old 11-23-2009, 08:43 AM

Last photo:

the seats will be more comfortable without .. think about 110 deg.- bathing suit- 4-5 hours of bouncing around pulling skiers....piping leaves a mark,, and hurts after time,, and all the girls in there bikini's ,,,,legs look better without a bunch of horizontal stripes...
Old 11-23-2009, 08:52 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjob
the seats will be more comfortable without .. think about 110 deg.- bathing suit- 4-5 hours of bouncing around pulling skiers....piping leaves a mark,, and hurts after time,, and all the girls in there bikini's ,,,,legs look better without a bunch of horizontal stripes...
Well these seats are in the interior, not exterior, so I think the items you brought up shouldn't be an issue. We typically just use the interior to sleep and watch movies at night. Otherwise, we're on the top deck most of the time.

Doug

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.