Mark IV heads on Gen V 454 block - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2009, 01:44 AM
BOOMER SOONER

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mark IV heads on Gen V 454 block

I have read where there can be coolant leakage problems running the older BBC heads on the Gen V block. I have also read that there is a gasket that will allow you to do this? Anyone done or heard of doing this? Also, I read that there can be a core shift in the block from GM using old tooling when casting the V block, making it hard to install the old heads? And then there is the one piece rear main crank. Will the older flywheel still work, or will I have to get a later model external balance flywheel? Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2009, 09:05 AM

Last photo:

Yes you can run the Gen IV heads on your block. Both Fel Pro and Feiera make gaskets that will work. You can also run a two piece RMS crank with a RMS adapter (about 75.00-100.00) and yes you can run the older flywheel on your engine.

Whoever told you the heads were hard to install has never done it.

Mike
Old 04-19-2009, 10:48 AM
BOOMER SOONER

Last photo:

Hey, thanks Mike. I was up till about 1am looking at the gen v block, and a 396 block, as well as the heads on both engines. It looked to me like all that would be needed is the small holes in the gasket? And I assume that the Felpro gasket has these. I read in a mag. About the coolant issues saying that it could seep into the lifter valley. But that was an early publication, so maybe the new gaskets fix that issue? Mike, if you have built one of these setups, any sugestions that I need to know??? Thanks a bunch!

Shawn
Old 04-19-2009, 11:20 AM

Last photo:

If you use the wrong gasket they will leak into the vally but I have used the FP 1037 without any issues on small bore stuff. I use the 1047, 1075, or 1057 on the larger bore stuff if the customer wont pay the price for a commetic.

There are a few little differences but the oiling system is better then the older ones and the one piece pan gasket won't leak unless the bolts fall out.

You need the oil pan, timing cover, and crank out of the old block without using a RMS adaptor but the rest will interchange.

Hope this helps, Mike
Old 04-19-2009, 12:27 PM
BOOMER SOONER

Last photo:

I plan on building a modeate performance build. It will be going into a real 1970 Chevelle SS car with a Muncie close ratio 4 speed and 4.10 12 bolt rear end. I plan to re use the pan, crank, and timing cover from the gen v. I have 2 sets of mark iv heads. One set is closed chamber and the other is open. I can't remember the cc's. I will have to re check the #'s. Performer rpm air gap, and like a 800cfm carb. What cam do you recomend? I hope I am on the right track? Also, should I re use the rods, or use a set of balanced rods that have been resized and arp bolts that I picked up over this weekend? Thanks guy

Shawn

Last edited by Hacksaw; 04-19-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:31 PM

Last photo:

The car should run pretty good. My last real street car had a .030 over 454 in it with a ported set of 990 heads and a set of closed chamber LS6 replacement pistons with a Crane CC310 a strip dominator intake and an 850. The car had a TH350 with a 9" converter and a 3.70 gear. The car ran 11.40s all day long through the mufflers on "street" tires driving it to the track 25 miles each way.

Your combo should work pretty good in a heavy car like yours. I would ballance the assembly with either set of rods you have and run a shelf piston like an SRP with a good ring on it. If you are going to use a solid there are plenty out there to pick from, I would use something in the .560+ lift and 245+ at .050 duration on a 110-112 lobe center. It depends how you are going to drive it on the cam choice.

Don't be scared of lift when buying a cam.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:26 PM
BOOMER SOONER

Last photo:

funny you mention that trans setup. The car was a factory 454 4 speed car, but it has a built th350 with a 3000 stall. I will probably run that trans for now until I get all the clutch parts, and driveshaft. I will post the head Id #'s maybe you can tell which set would be better for performance? Thanks again for all your help!!!

Shawn
Old 07-25-2010, 08:13 AM
BOOMER SOONER

Last photo:

Update!

Update on this engine. I picked up a set of 088 502 heads with 2.25/1.88 stainless valves for the engine. Going to check out the crank adaptor you spoke about. I'm having a hard time finding pistons for the gen v block. I have a steel 427 crank, rods, and pistons ready to go I thought about using with the crank adaptor to get me up and running. My car is just about ready to come home from paint so I need to move on this engine fast!!! Any thoughts?
Old 07-25-2010, 01:36 PM

Last photo:

Look at the comp height you need and see if there is a shelf piston you can use.

JE has a good online catalog that you can look at to narrow things down.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:59 PM
BOOMER SOONER

Last photo:

Double checked on some pistons, seems as you can get them for the GEN V. I guess the skirts are a touch different...anyway, several companies make them. I looked at a KB piston with a -25.5 hollow dome. Their rough comp calc. With a 118cc head and a .030 bore comes to 10.25 ish. .595 lift cam and 91 octane should be fine. I hope?
Old 07-25-2010, 03:48 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw
I have read where there can be coolant leakage problems running the older BBC heads on the Gen V block. I have also read that there is a gasket that will allow you to do this? Anyone done or heard of doing this? Also, I read that there can be a core shift in the block from GM using old tooling when casting the V block, making it hard to install the old heads? And then there is the one piece rear main crank. Will the older flywheel still work, or will I have to get a later model external balance flywheel? Thanks
There are gaskets made specifically for this swap. Use other gaskets at you're own risk- these are what you want (from a V/R press release, presumably prior to the Gen 6 engine release):

General Motors 7.4L Head Gasket
Issue:

General Motors (GM) 7.4L (454 CID) engines use two types of engine blocks: the Mark IV and Mark V. The Mark IV is found on 7.4L engines in model years from 1965 to 1990, and the Mark V is found on 7.4L engines in model years from 1991 and newer.

Often, installers will attempt to adapt a Mark IV cylinder head for a Mark V block. This conversion can be made if attention is paid to the coolant circulation. Mark IV and Mark V have different coolant flows and were originally designed for different head gaskets. If the conversion is not performed correctly, the engine will overheat, causing premature engine wear and damage.

Resolution:
Victor Reinz has designed two Nitroseal® head gaskets to specifically allow for this conversion. The installation requires Victor Reinz part number 4918 be installed on the right cylinder bank to maintain proper coolant circulation, and part number 4923 to be installed on the left cylinder bank for the correct coolant flow.

Application:
Victor Reinz part numbers 4918 (right bank) and 4923 (left bank) are available for GM 7.4L (454 CID)
engines.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:22 PM
BOOMER SOONER

Last photo:

I'm going to run a set of GM 088 502 heads. They are the same coolant flow.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:34 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw
I'm going to run a set of GM 088 502 heads. They are the same coolant flow.
The reply was for the next guy that does a search for installing Mk. IV heads on a Gen 5 block than an answer for you.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:44 PM
BOOMER SOONER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
The reply was for the next guy that does a search for installing Mk. IV heads on a Gen 5 block than an answer for you.
Ok, thank you. This is an old topic but I've been idle for awhile now
Old 07-19-2012, 08:42 PM

Fel pro q1037 head gaskets

HEY MIKE, THESE GASKETS ARE FOR 4.370 BORE DIA. MY GEN V 454 IS 4.280 THEY SHOULD STILL WORK OK . ILL JUST LOOSE SOME COMPRESSION FROM 10:4-1. CORRECT? I'VE GOT A WIKED SET OF 781's with 2.25 I, AND 1.88 EXHAUSTS PORTED AND POLISHED THAT I RAN ON A 468 13-1 SOLID ROLLER MOTOR THAT ID LIKE TO BOLT ON MY GEN V STREET TUNNEL RAM MOTOR.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.