Martin Senour Paint Help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2008, 04:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Martin Senour Paint Help

Could use some advice on Martin Senour products.
I began a ground up restoration on a 1969 Mustang 10 years ago.
The body was stripped to bare metal and I have used Martin Senour primer products to date. I am getting ready to finish the body work and have the car painted. Now I found they have changed their paint lines & pricing.

I have a few small parts that are still bare metal, the remainder of the car has been covered with 8847 Trio Etching primer and then 5103 Urethane primer tinted as red-oxide.

I am told the 8847 is no longer available for sale, last sale price was over $300 for the primer and reducer. What etching product would you recommend using? I was told the spray-bomb was still available and that it was similar to the 8847??

I am told the Tec line of base/clear is no longer available and/or very expensive. Any concerns regarding the use of the Cross/Fire line? Car is to be Black Jade metallic, a very dark green.

If using the Cross/Fire line, what clearcoat would you recommend?

Last question; Should I dare to use another manufacturers base/clear over the 5103?

Appreciate the assistance!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2008, 05:18 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,141 Times in 1,009 Posts
First off, it sounds like your NAPA jobber has replaced all his Tec/BASE products with the "Value line" Cross/FIRE. I say that because all the Tec/BASE products including 8846/8847 are still available as far as I know. Click here for the Martin Senour site with info on these products.

Second, you don't have to use the Trio/PRIME, you could now change to epoxy or what ever and then put your 5103 (my favorite primer of all time) over it. You could also use the Cross/FIRE 15210/15211 which is the exact same product as Trio/PRIME but a lot less money being they market it thru the value line Cross/FIRE.

Third, you can apply any paint and clear you wnat to over that 5103, not a problem at all.

Call the tech line that is on the site I provided and they will answer all your questions.

Brian
Old 02-23-2008, 06:24 AM

re:Martin Senour paint help

Brian,

Thank you for your advice!

Just for reference, the price I was quoted in Ohio for a gallon of 8847: $219.00, 8848:$124.00. The price for 15210: $76.69, 15213: $43.98. So you are certainly correct, a big price difference.

I have enjoyed using the 5103 so far, has been easy to work with. Too bad the price has gone up so high.

You are also correct on the Tec line, the stores in our area have moved away due to the cost. I would prefer to stay in one mfg's paint line if I can. Do you have any concerns with the Cross/Fire base/clear for a restoration type vehicle?

Appreciate the help.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:15 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,141 Times in 1,009 Posts
I believe in staying with one manufacturer too, however, this 5103 that you have applied is fully cured, there is no issue with using another product line.

The Cross/FIRE is a "Value line" it isn't bad by any means. But I have not worked with it in a number of years so I don't know exactly what they have to offer. I do know that when I was repping Martin Senour paint, I personally had exactly ONE complant concerning "Cross/FIRE" it was a darn good line. It was however a value line and people accepted that. The colors didn't cover as well as Tec/BASE, the primers didn't fill as good, that sort of thing. It is by no means as good as Tec/BASE.

However, if you have 5103 on it and it is fully covered with no sand thrus your paint is going to cover VERY fast. That is as long as you are painting the car with a similar color, which is the idea of "Tint/PRIME" 5103.

Here is a picture of my 65 Buick Gran Sport in Tint/PRIME. The fender and door and hood are still bare 5103 and the windshield post has been painted and cleared in Chrysler Flame red Tec/BASE and 8637 Clear (my favorite).

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.