Martin senour pro/base - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 09:02 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Martin senour pro/base

Anyone ever used it? thoughts? I went on the web site and can't find the data sheet for the pro/base. I found it for the tech/base and the pro/base clear but not the pro/base color. There is no way I can afford $98 for a pint of PPG Dbc. I'm looking for a LESS expensive alternative.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 11:23 PM

Last photo:

My 68 mustang was painted with deltron base clear but for my work truck i wasnt going to shell out that kind of dough i used mbc base and hs euro clear. I must say user friendly and substantially less than the deltron stuff honestly i would use again with out thinking twice
Old 08-16-2012, 04:41 PM

Last photo:

I quess this paint is to new or its no good.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:12 PM

Last photo:

honestly i just haven't used the stuff so i cant tell you how user friendly it is or well it lays out etc.. but i have used omni and omni+ and have had good results. My local napa does carry it and honestly i only know one person who has used it and seemed to turn out quite well but he also has alot of experience and generally sprays anything with great results
Old 08-16-2012, 05:26 PM

Last photo:

My local NAPA dealer says they have all the PRO/BASE products but have not been trained on them yet. So they can't sell it untill they 're trained? They do have the CROSSFIRE I might try that or the OMNI.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:34 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,127 Times in 1,001 Posts
I was a Martin Senour paint rep for a few years, Tec/Base was the same basic quality as PPG Deltron, Dupont Cromabase and most other basecoat systems of the day. It IS simply relabeled Sherwin Williams "Ultra/Base".

I have sprayed way too many gallons of it (hundreds, thousands?) with great success. What it is today, what the clears are like today, I don't know, this was 12 years ago. But basically, it's a top of the line Sherwin Williams product that is comparable with the others on the market.

"Pro/Base" I don't know, sounds like it's a "medium quality" higher than something like Omni or Martin Senour's "Cross/Fire" but not as good as Tec/base, interesting. I didn't even know it existed until learning about it right now so I have no idea how good it is.

Brian
Old 08-16-2012, 05:36 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,127 Times in 1,001 Posts
Contact real tech reps thru the tech number, DO NOT trust the store personal who haven't gained experience with these products. They will often make big mistakes in product suggestions and uses.

Brian
Old 08-16-2012, 07:12 PM

Last photo:

Here is a link to the site.
Pro//Base
Old 09-07-2012, 02:40 PM

Using Probase over a year now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdss View Post
Here is a link to the site.
Pro//Base
Probase is a polyester resin based basecoat.It is a totally different animal than dbc,omni,chromabase etc.I have sold, and used many of them.Probase is a mid tier offering from martin senour, which is sherwin williams paint,very good quality.This product provides a very good color match and far superior hiding to omni.In most situations i would go against dbc or chromabse any day,although this product was not designed to compete against these lines.Use the probase reducer that goes with this paint.Do not play chemist and dump anything in, odds are it will fail.Price is also a plus with this product.Oh and also, Probase can be made in a voc compliant version eliminating the need to use waterborne base coats that some paint companies are trying to scare people into using.For the record I do not work for any paint companies.Have used many products and sold some over the years. Hope this helps.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:55 AM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

If anyone near you sells wanda paint line try their base and use SPI production clear on it you will be happy with the results.And with the bottom line on cost. When you can buy 5qt sprayable clear for less than $90.00 and it seems to be a real good clear you cant go wrong.Goes on nice and is hard to run and I dont have a problem doing that on most paints.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:30 PM

Last photo:

I just tryed some omni on my truck cap. Sprays different than chromabase,takes more coats to cover and the color match is way off. Thats probably why its less than half the price. Good enough for what I was doing but I think I'll look for something alittle better before my next project. I have not heard of wanda paint I'll have to ask around.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdss View Post
I just tryed some omni on my truck cap. Sprays different than chromabase,takes more coats to cover and the color match is way off. Thats probably why its less than half the price. Good enough for what I was doing but I think I'll look for something alittle better before my next project. I have not heard of wanda paint I'll have to ask around.
never compare Omni to Chromabase!

Omni is bottom line like Nason .

we used Dupont for 35 years then for 8 years used PPG.

i have experience in all the lower and Higher lines of both paints.

you will have far better results spending some more money on the base you choose in these lines.

if you can find Pro-spray in your area it is excellent stuff and priced right.

i spray Pro-spray but at the moment have been offered a bunch of free products and mixing set up for the Ultra 7000 line of SW so i am going to play with it for a while.

Travis

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.