masking - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2005, 09:51 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

masking

so this is a pretty simple question, probably bordering on stupid, but we masked a good chunk of the car thursday (why not all at once you say? well the car still has to be moved)...

anyways, the door is off the car so the jams can be done, and masking that doorway was a huge pain to do with 3 strips of paper taped together, is there a better way to do this? I'm not about to go pay $40 to mask easier or anything so if there are fancy products to do this, I'll pass, but if there's something better out there that won't cost an arm and a leg I'm all for it.

any ideas?

thanks
-alden

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2005, 02:03 PM

masking

Heres my method,not expensive, reasonably simple. One strip of 3/4 around edge,Poster board taped together and trimmed to 1/4 inch of opening,a few finger holes around edge to let you hold it in place while taping,finish by covering holes with tape. The same piece of poster brd can be used over if your carefull not to destroy it upon removal . I agree ,the paper method sucks a big one. Good luck on the paint job. Jerry
Old 06-13-2005, 03:01 PM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

one of the ways production shops do it is to tape off the weatherstip flange w/ stickie side out, then lay plastic over the car and push it against the tape ..... trim off the excess

then procede to lay paper down over that ... the paper keeps the paint from getting on the plastic and flaking back off during painting

the plastic keeps paint from sneaking into the car thru all the inevitable gaps in the tape / paper

the cheap masking plastic rips easy tho, but if you or a friend have the thick heavy duty black "lawn and garden" plastic, it takes alot more effort to accidently rip it .... and theres always someone that has some in their garage / basement
Old 06-13-2005, 09:22 PM

Last photo:

Get the good masking plastic, it will say- paint this side on it Your overspray will not flake off the good quality masking plastic. Also, stay away from the budget masking papers for paint work-ok for primer though. Plastic is the way to go for these openings IMO. Very economical at $25-$35 per roll on average. The Norton Blue plastic is my favorite, followed by 3M's premium line.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:49 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

I use the plastic drop-cloths that are sold at Wall-Mart for 99 cents ea.
They're not high quality but at 99 cents I don't reuse them.
They're around 9 ft x 9 ft.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:59 AM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddbob
Get the good masking plastic, it will say- paint this side on it Your overspray will not flake off the good quality masking plastic.
forgot about that stuff ... we fianly went to it like a week before my last day as a body man .... very nice stuff
Old 06-15-2005, 08:18 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,230 Times in 1,083 Posts
A lot of paint shops will sell those bags individually off the larger roll mentioned for guys who only need one. Or, there are retail "kits" for masking that have one bag, tape and a razor knife for eight bucks or so.

The plastic bag is the only way to fly with masking in my opinion. I just about got rid of any paper larger than six inch for a while. I wouldn't even have any paper at all on the edge of a panel being painted. Just the 3/4" tape, bag the whole car and cut on the tape line exposing the fender or what ever that was being painted and tape right to that tape line. Holy moly did that cut some masking time.

But if you are only wanting to cover the inter for painting the jambs "Lowrollers" suggestion will get the job done as well. Just more time consuming.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.