Masking Door Jams etc. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2005, 07:11 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Masking Door Jams etc.

Hey all. I just came across this site a couple of days ago and it is great. A lot of great tips.

I have a question about masking when doing a complete paint job. Simple BC/CC. Solid color

Would I paint under the hood and the trunk, in the door jams and the inner doors off the car?

If so how would I go about masking off those parts once the doors, hood, and trunk are put back on? Or do i not even need to do that?

I would think not masking it off, the paint would leave an overspray in the jams when im doing the outside. And there would be a buildup of clear.

On the other wouldnt masking it leave a tape line in the jams of the car?

Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2005, 09:43 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

Hiya 36ford3window, 3m makes a foam tape that is designed just for door openings and soft mask edges along body lines. It's called door apature foam tape. The down side is the least you can get is enough to do 25 cars at a time in a package lol.. The upside is it'll really save time masking. You can "backtape'" with regular masking tape by running the tape from behind the panel. It's hard to put into words but we'll find a way.
Check these links to get an idea..

http://www.a2zautoforums.com/showpos...9&postcount=80
http://www.a2zautoforums.com/showpos...0&postcount=81

Heres that car start to finish http://www.a2zautoforums.com/showthr...6&page=1&pp=10
Old 02-04-2005, 10:14 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
Painting jambs
There is as many ways to paint jambs as there guys doing it. Unless it is an out and out show car I say paint the jams and then paint the outside. Many guys will say do it all at once with the panels off. The extra work and chance of damaging your new paint are so great, I say save that for the out and out show cars. If tape off the jambs well, you can barely tell the difference.
These are a few things I have learned that save a lot of work. First off, when you paint the jambs, apply both color and clear. DO NOT let the overspray go out onto the outside! This can cause HUGE problems along with the extra sanding that can be avoided. Unless completely removed, that overspray can ruin you work. The solvents from the paint on the exterior will get under the thin overspray and lift! What you want to do is be sure that the outside is TOTALLY done and READY to be final sanded and painted BEFORE you do the jambs. Now, tape off the outside along the jamb edge with at least 18" paper so you don't get that direct overspray out on the exterior. I tape the paper up to about 1/8" from the edge of the jamb. Then take your tape and "backtape" to the edge. This is when you lay the tape up to the edge on the outside so it is hanging over the edge, then gently fold it back, exposing the jamb but keeping the outside covered right up to the edge. This back taping will make a "softer" edge and be much easier to sand.
Go ahead and paint and clear the jamb, and remove that last tape that is back taped while the clear is still a little wet if you want (not necessary but you could choose to do that) the clear will then flow a little at the edge and leave you will even less of an edge to sand off.
Now when you paint the outside tape off the jambs up to about 1/8" or 3/16" from the edge so the seam won't be seen when the door is closed. Sand the exterior including that little edge left from the jamb paint and do the last little bit of jamb paint up to the new tape line with a gray scuff pad. I even will put that tape a little bit further away (about another 1/16") from the edge and after the scuffing with the gray scuff pad, apply a fine line (the blue plastic tape) tape over that last tape but hanging over the edge onto the new jamb paint that 1/16" bringing the line up to the original desired 1/8" to 3/16" from the edge. This will ensure that your jamb edge doesn't peel.

You could also use "aperture" foam tape that 3M makes. It is a rope made of foam with adhesive on it and is like "back taping" it leaves a "soft" edge.

I can go even more anal for you.
This may not work well in your jambs but if you can open the doors before clearing you could do it. I have found an even better way to all but eliminate that edge.
Tape off the edge as described with the extra line of fine line tape over the last 1/16" of new jamb paint (this works with when painting up to any paint actually, it doesn't need to be new paint you are painting up to). Then add ANOTHER strip of fine line the same way, over the next 1/16" or 3/32" getting up even closer to the jamb edge. Now, after you paint the color on the outside, you remove that last fine line added BEFORE you clear the exterior. Now, you will be burying the edge of the base coat under the clear! You don't have to do this by any means but it adds to that detail that is almost like you removed the doors to paint.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:39 PM

I did a restoration on a 55 Chevy. The car was completely gutted. I had everything lined up, doors ,hood , etc. then I simply masked what little was left and painted all at once. Opening and painting the jambs then closing to do the outside all at one time. Everything has to be lined up as if the car was done and being judged at a car show. No short cuts or " I'll line it up later", do it first. When you are done painting the parts are on and aligned waiting for polish and trim pieces to be put on. I don't know if you are a novice or pro, either way, this worked excellent for me.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:47 PM

The car I am painting is by no means ever gonna go in a car show. I just want to do the best job i can. I am sort of a perfectionist.

this is what i planned

1) while doors off paint and clear inner doors and hinges
2) while hood off paint and clear underneath.
3) while trunk off do the same as step 2

when that is all said and done paint and clear the jams. Let dry then hang doors, put hood and trunk on and then backmask to do the whole body.

How does that sound?
Old 02-04-2005, 11:54 PM

Sounds good, dude. The 55 I done wasn't a show car, just making a point about the car show part. The way I described works the best for me and leaves absolutly no tape lines at all!! Good luck with your project!!
Old 02-04-2005, 11:55 PM

martinsr is right, you can get pretty anal about this. Given there is usually a pretty long window between the base and clear what I almost always do for very nice driver paint jobs is jam the parts with base, assemble the body parts then base the whole car. I'll then clear the jams when I do the overall and if needed us a small gravity touch up gun to get the clear fogged in to all the detail areas. This way there are virtually no tape lines at all.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:46 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
Rick and AC, both have a great way to do it. My advice is to do the same IF you feel comfortable with it. Opening and closing the doors adds a lot to the "nerves" and if you are not totally comfortable with it, do just as you are planning.

We do exactly as they are saying 90% of the time at work. Some parts are hung on stands and jambed and painted on the outside all at once as well. One thing you have to watch out for is the increased dust source. But it does work real well.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:57 PM

i like the 3m soft edge foam tape myself it save alot of time and it works great, i also like the norton foam also, it is pretty good .
Old 02-06-2005, 09:17 AM
Last photo:

My vote goes for painting everything off the car. If you have it apart already that is the way to do it. That way you can insure that you get enough paint on critical areas like door edges, trunk edges and such.

Vince

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.