masking tape residue - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2004, 07:49 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

masking tape residue

hello all

I have a small problem I masked off some flames on a propane tank I am painting, I am using OMNI MTK a signal stage paint.

When I lifted the tape, I have ended up with a few areas that the tape has left residue. It will not rub off it lust smears!! the paint is about 48 hours old.
What if anything can I use that wont harm the paint?

thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2004, 08:08 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,013 Posts
In 48 hours it "should" be cured enough (if it has been 65 degrees or so) to rub it with a mild wax and grease remover without any problem at all.
Test a small area to be sure.

Taken from the "Basics of Basics" to surface cleaners:

1. A very slow evaporating cleaner. It is also very weak, and actually may only be mineral spirits or mostly mineral spirits. This does NOT mean you can go to the hardware store and buy their mineral spirits, for goodness sakes just but the high grade product from the paint manufacture. This is the type of cleaner is commonly found in the shop. It is a good cleaner because it is weak and will not attack any soft substrates like lacquer, uncured enamels, etc. But it will not clean a lot of strong contaminants like vinyl treatments. When you have a reason to believe there is a particularly bad contaminant you may need to go to a stronger cleaner. It is very slow evaporating so you have to be sure it is fully evaporated after wiping before you apply any paint product over it. Specifically those nooks and crannies, be sure it is good and gone before you apply any paint product. It gives you lots of time to wipe it off because it evaporates so slow.

Examples are:
Sherwin Williams R1K213, Martin Senour 6387, PPG DX330, DuPont 3939S, BASF 901.

Old 08-17-2004, 06:54 PM

Last photo:

Try "Goo Gone" it's a citrus based product sold in drug/department stores. We just used it to remove tape glue on a very fresh bc/cc paint job and it worked great. It removed the glue easily and didn't bother the paint at all. Do NOT try "Goof Off" it eats paint! we did
Old 08-18-2004, 10:27 PM

Last photo:

I had some masked metal (with the blue tape) that got hot during processing and the tape adhesive stuck. I was advised by the manufacturer to use vegetable oil, let it soak in and then rub it off. It took some time but worked pretty well and did not mar the finish. You might try this if other methods fail.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:19 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the advice

but the paint has slightly dulled is it possible to buff the paint with out destroying the paint, i know you cant wet sand it do to the metallic in the paint. But what about buffing?

I am planing on clearing it but i wanted to see if i could shine the paint up prior

thanks

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.