masking under cowl vent - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2011, 03:30 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

masking under cowl vent

My kid is working on his 66 Canso which will be a looong time to completion due to lack of time. He has the cowl vent off and the underneath sandblasted and finished in flat black. He now wants to put the cowl back on to finish the body work on that part of the car. He plans to mask the underside of the vent to prevent spraying colour down inside, and then pull the masking off from inside the car after painting the car, years down the road. Any body done this? Is there is a better way? What should he use to mask it so it will stay on? Keep in mind that where it is masked won't be visible when the car is done. Thanks for any suggestions!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2011, 06:20 PM

Last photo:

If it won't be visible (I'm not familiar with the car) why mask it?

I'm working on a 67 mustang and I redid the cowl then sprayed black inside. I have left it open for the body work (I'll just blow the dust out) but I just plan on stuffing a lot of rags or something up there for paint time.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:50 PM

Tape the perimeter with a GOOD quality 1.5'' masking tape from the bottom side with half of the tapes sticky side up 3/4'' past perimeter of the opening. Cut your masking paper to size and carefully lay it on top with your hand inside pressing the paper to the tape. slide your hand out and put a piece of tape on the top where your hand was to ensure a good seal(unless you have access for your hand from the interior). Hope this is clear enough without a picture. Best of luck.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyK81
If it won't be visible (I'm not familiar with the car) why mask it?

I'm working on a 67 mustang and I redid the cowl then sprayed black inside. I have left it open for the body work (I'll just blow the dust out) but I just plan on stuffing a lot of rags or something up there for paint time.
Because not masking it is "car lot" style work. I wouldn't recommend the rags either because they have the potential of putting trash in your job.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:55 PM

Last photo:

You can reach it like that from the inside?
Old 04-09-2011, 07:58 PM

I'm not familiar with the car either I'm referring to putting your hand in from the top side and working your way around to a place that can be reached from the inside or simply placing a 5'' or so piece of tape on the top where your hand was.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:57 PM

Last photo:

Thanks guys for the tips. Nastynotch, The Canso is a Canadian Pontiac Acadian similar to a Chev Nova. Was sort of a muscle car in it's day. Do you think masking tape will last until he paints it? Or maybe some other kind of tape?
JohnnyK, you'll still be able to see into the opening if you look in, and he'll likely be painting it a light shade of yellow so don't want overspray on the flat black. The vent was of course spot welded on and will be plug welded back on before paint.

Thanks again guys.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:07 PM

Last photo:

Here's a picture of a 66 Canso Sport Deluxe. Hopefully his will look as good some day. It came with a 327 and an auto trans., not sure which one. It's been modified with a Heidts front clip. Looked real nice when he got it, but he knew it needed lot's of body work. Lot's of rust filled over.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1966 Pontiac Sport Deluxe.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	54307  
Old 04-09-2011, 11:15 PM

Last photo:

Ahh, I thought you meant it was totally sealed (Hence, not visible), perhaps lower down in the cowl (more towards the hood, I mean).

Perhaps rags aren't the best idea, but I know on the mustang you'd be quite hard pressed to get yoru hand up to the vents.

Maybe you could get some masking in there, and tape it up on one side up inside the cowl hat, then get to the other side and afix it up inside that cowl hat?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding nastynotch as well, but you can't tape it from the top, as there are grills that need to be painted (I assume).
Old 04-10-2011, 06:46 AM

As long as it wasn't outside in the sun I think it would be ok. I had a long term Mustang project that had the door openings masked off for a long period of time. I moved into a new garage and towed it there at 65 mph the tape held up to my suprise!
Old 04-10-2011, 11:25 AM

Last photo:

Thanks guys, I'll let him know that good quality tape should last. JohnnyK, I think Nasty meant to tape from the bottom up to the grill? Nastynotch?
Old 04-10-2011, 11:36 AM

Last photo:

Hey Nastynotch, took a look at where you live in Orland Park. Closest to you I've been is Sturgeon Bay in Wisconsin a couple of years ago on a course (party) one of our suppliers put on, Hatco. Cool company owned by the employees. We were supposed to go out on a tour boat on Lake Michigan but there was a tornado alert. You get many of those? Scary!
Old 04-10-2011, 12:03 PM

I wasn't sure if there were vents that covered a hole and was describing a way to tape a larger opening. You will have to tape it completly from the bottom if the vents are there permanently. As far back as I can remember we've had some tornado warnings but never any actual tornadoes in Orland.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.