Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Master Cylinder Bore size, what size is this?
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 10:40 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Master Cylinder Bore size, what size is this?

Is this master cylinder roughly 1 1/8" or is there no way to tell other than get inside the master cylinder? I included the piston because some info vaguely claims that the piston is the bore but thats not correct.

Ive got a car that had perfect braking prior to a few weeks ago when I swapped out the booster (dual 9" now) and master cylinder. Lines were cleared of air 3 times (all 4 corners), combination valve is functional, pedal radio is roughly 4:1 using the stock 86 gm hole, booster holds vacuum and car has a vac gauge. As it is now, the pedal is rock hard with barely a few inches of pedal push and I have to really struggle to stop the car. I cant get any brakes to lock up on front or rear. It feels like stopping a car with no vacuum assit (as an example) even though the booster is working.

New front disc pads from last year and new rear drum shoes from before the swap. The lack of stopping power seems to match anything related to the wrong bore size on the master cylinder. I had the cylinder for over a year and have no record of where I bought it from. A mistake I agree.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_26B00720-CB1F-47F2-8CC3-6619FF8B95BD.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	73369   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_AEA4141F-1BB0-4595-9309-330D666C89EE.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	73370