master cylinder for drum/drum or disc/drum - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012, 12:10 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

master cylinder for drum/drum or disc/drum

I have a single reservoir manual drum/drum M/C with 7/8 bore now. Want to convert to dual reservoir M/C and maybe manual disc/drum in the future. I found a dual reservoir M/C with a 7/8 bore and 1.10 stroke. Will this M/C support a manual disc/drum system?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2012, 12:45 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:

It may there are many variables like the fulcrum point of the actuating rod on the pedal to the mc and the pressure ratio to your foot pressure and the size of your calipers.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:42 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I found MP Brakes a great source of info for different configuration. Explore their website and order theier catalog.
http://www.mpbrakes.com/
Old 07-20-2012, 10:58 AM

Last photo:

I m curious as well because I'm in a similar situation. I do know that a drum/ drum mc will not work for disc/drum setup as it doesn't move enough fluid for calipers. I would like to know if a disc/drum mc would work for drum/drum setup.

Kris.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:51 AM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

I had a 75 corvette power master on my vega drag car. At frist we had it set up with manual drum-drum brakes and it worked ok. Then we went to mustang two front disks and it works perfect, No pulling,stops straight,easy pedal pressure. Rears are 11" chev 1/2 ton drums.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:11 PM

Last photo:

The only difference between a drum/drum, a disc.drum, and a disc/disc master cylinder is the residual valves. Drum brakes have them built in, and disc brakes don't. If you want to run drums with a disc brake master, install external residual valves.

An easy way to check the master for residual valves, try to insert a toothpick in the fitting on the master cylinder.If it goes right in the cylinder bore, there is no residual valve. If it hits something about 1.4" in, it has a residual valve.

If you have a firewall mounted master cylinder, you might get by with a disc master cylinder, with no residual valves, and drum brakes

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.