Master Cylinder Reservoir - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2010, 01:13 AM

Last journal entry: Gas cap next
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Master Cylinder Reservoir

Should the brakes from the larger reservoir go to the rear brakes ? I have disc in front and drum on the rear.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2010, 01:24 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

No the large reservoir is for the front disc brakes because as the brakes wear the caliper pistons extend and the extra fluid in the reservoir is so the master cylinder doesn't go dry as fluid is needed to take up the space inside the calipers behind the pistons . I never add fluid to the large reservoir unless I have lost fluid due to a leak or rebuilding calipers . If you do add fluid , the next time you replace pads and push the caliper pistons back in you will overflow the reservoir into the engine compartment . Messy , but non-synthetic brakefluid is water soluble and will wash off with a garden hose . Brake fluid also makes an expensive way to get oil stains off of your driveway . Work it in with a broom and then hose it off .
Old 08-13-2010, 07:03 AM

Usually the smaller reservoir is for the Front Brakes. However, with an under floor mount, with a remote fill master, the outlet that feeds the front brakes is closest to the booster.

Don't guess. Go to the Mp Brakes web site and locate the braking system you are working with. They offer a lot of technical information as well as installation instructions for all the different brakes with pictures. Look under their Tech Support tab in the upper right and there are drawings of how to plumb different brake configurations.

http://www.mpbrakes.com/index.cfm
Old 08-13-2010, 08:16 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona F1
Usually the smaller reservoir is for the Front Brakes. However, with an under floor mount, with a remote fill master, the outlet that feeds the front brakes is closest to the booster.

Don't guess. Go to the Mp Brakes web site and locate the braking system you are working with. They offer a lot of technical information as well as installation instructions for all the different brakes with pictures. Look under their Tech Support tab in the upper right and there are drawings of how to plumb different brake configurations.

You mis-quoted or had a typo.

The larger reservoir is plumbed to the front disc brakes. The link you provided has a link that not only shows that with photos but states it about halfway down the page. here is the LINK
Old 08-13-2010, 08:37 AM

I stand corrected and the point is made that it is best to check an authoritative source rather than guess.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:06 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:

IF YOU WOULD LOOK AT THE WEBSITE THAT YOU RECOMMENDED YOU WOULD SEE THAT WHENEVER THE RESERVOIR SIZES ARE DIFFERENT (AS THEY ALWAYS ARE WITH DISC BRAKE / DRUM BRAKE COMBO) THE LARGER RESERVOIR IS FOR THE FRONT . Be careful to give the correct information , especially when talking about brakes . Larger reservoir is ALWAYS for the front disc brakes ALWAYS ! For the reaonn I stated !
Old 08-14-2010, 12:18 PM

Adantessr,

Gee, all capital letters. Does that mean you want to spank me?
Old 08-14-2010, 01:59 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Adantessr,

Gee, all capital letters. Does that mean you want to spank me?
Yup . LOL . But my emoticons don't work . Safe rodding to you friend .
Old 08-19-2010, 01:03 AM

Last photo:

OK Guys and Gals ... on to the next problem. I have the M/C plumbed the way it should be. However, in trying to bleed the brakes, I cannot get the air out of the rear cylinders.

The M/C is under the floor board and I have a residual valve to the front disc brakes and a residual valve and a proportioning valve to the back drum brakes. The front disc bled perfectly, but the rear has been a pain in the differential.

I have tried power bleeding them and bleeding them manually with no success.

HELP !!
Old 08-19-2010, 08:13 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBee
OK Guys and Gals ... on to the next problem. I have the M/C plumbed the way it should be. However, in trying to bleed the brakes, I cannot get the air out of the rear cylinders.

The M/C is under the floor board and I have a residual valve to the front disc brakes and a residual valve and a proportioning valve to the back drum brakes. The front disc bled perfectly, but the rear has been a pain in the differential.

HELP !!
Do you get anything from the rears when bleeding. A leak in the line somewhere can suck air back it as fast as you push it out.
It sounds like you have a lot of connections to the rear brakes, you might want to take a look at them to be sure they are not sucking air

Chet
Old 08-19-2010, 08:23 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBee

HELP !!
Sometimes the way the lines are run will create a "bow" in the line that will allow air to collect into. This will be very hard to get rid of by the usual method of pumping/holding/bleeding the brakes. Pressure "bleeding" from the rear slave bleeders w/a pump will usually get rid of the air.

Be sure the bleeders are still tight in their bores when they're loosened for bleeding, too. A wrap of teflon tape will prevent air from being drawn into the system from around the threads.

Also be sure the pushrod for the master is clear of the piston by a small margin and isn't putting any pressure onto the piston at rest. The return spring can sometimes allow the pushrod to actually rest on the piston. If the piston is depressed at all, there will be problems w/bleeding and getting a good pedal.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:45 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Excuse me for asking a real dumb question , but I assume you mounted the rear wheel cylinders with the bleeders on top . Not trying to be a smart alec , just don't want to miss anything . I have one or two times had trouble with trapped air from using too much pressure on the brake pedal when bleeding . It sounds like you have power brakes and I have had best results with the engine running with power brakes and steady even pressure on the brake pedal and not stroking the master cylinder all the way to the floor . And as Cobalt327 said , make sure that the return travel lets the master cylinder piston come all the way to the stop . If it is down at all , it won't let fluid get back in front of the piston.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:50 PM
9.82 @ 139mph

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr
IF YOU WOULD LOOK AT THE WEBSITE THAT YOU RECOMMENDED YOU WOULD SEE THAT WHENEVER THE RESERVOIR SIZES ARE DIFFERENT (AS THEY ALWAYS ARE WITH DISC BRAKE / DRUM BRAKE COMBO) THE LARGER RESERVOIR IS FOR THE FRONT . Be careful to give the correct information , especially when talking about brakes . Larger reservoir is ALWAYS for the front disc brakes ALWAYS ! For the reaonn I stated !

Just to note: If you are dealing with discs on all fours, the primary port on the MC should serve the end of the vehicle which has the greatest effective piston bore; this could be front or rear.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:39 AM

Last photo:

Thanx for the answers guys. The bleeders are on top. The lines are straight except for 1 90 degree. The fronts (disc) bled fine. I do get pedal after I bleed one side, but when I bleed the other side if I wait for a minute I lose pedal and when I go back to the first side, tons of air. I have triple checked all fittings. The problem moves from one side to the other. It seems like I'm chasing the air.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.