Matching Numbers ???? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2009, 06:45 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Matching Numbers ????

Just wondering how to work out what are "Matching Numbers"
The only thing i can think of is that all the panels i have stripped on the front of the Mustang have panel numbers stamped on each piece. Is there a series of sequential numbers that tie one panel to the next to prove that the car is original in all its panels .??? This term "matching numbers " is used to sell a car for the top dollar, but unless you can i.d. each panel how would you know the car is truly a matching numbers car.???????
Any help appreciated.
Al.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA040057.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	41045  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2009, 06:51 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Matching numbers usually refers more to drivetrain parts, to ensure that they actually belong to that car. About body parts, I doubt that they kept track of what went where.....most likely they are just part numbers, so all Mustang fenders of that year for example would be the same. Unless you are really fanatical about it, I wouldn't be too concerned.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:20 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

mustang numbers

Mustangs of those years had the vin Number stamped on the driver's side inner fender panel. There is a cutout in the Left fender so you can see the number. The Rignt side inner fender also had the same number stamped opposite but the right fender is not cut out so the number is covered by the fender lip, you can wire brush the right side area to clean off road grime then place a carbon paper face down on a white sheet of typing paper then hold it up to the number area. rub with an eraser or sometimes your thumb and you can usually get the numbers to transfer, saves removing the fender to check to see if they match. I have seen a lot of show car mustangs with no numbers showing on the left side. either crash repair or ?? . the vin number was also on the metal ID tag with other info.:date code. body code trim color ext paint.. etc. Mustang vin numbers were asigned. when the order was processed in dearborn. orders were sent to the 3 mustang plants and the build was done to match parts availability and capability. body fixtures could only build a limited number of fastbacks each day. so the vin numbers were scrambled to match parts. . Chrysler assigned their numbers when the body was built so actual build dates are easier to find. Later years the Feds required vin numbers stamped on other parts engine, trans, etc. I don't remember what year that started. ,

Last edited by timothale; 10-05-2009 at 07:27 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Numbers.??

Thanks for the replies poncho and timo. I have an idea what i am looking at now. This car therefore will not be a matching numbers car as it has a disc brake conversion front and rear and a 347 engine instead of the original 289.
This mustang has, as you have said a VIN no. stamped in the passenger side inner fender which i discovered when i removed the fender. The drivers side guard has a cut out for the vin no. but there is no number there. I am assuming it has been repaired sometime in its history as you have said. I will have to cut out a piece of the passenger side guard to reveal the vin number before it goes back together. The guys here at the transport inspection will need to see it for its registration.
We have Special Interest (SI) registration here which is about half the price of full registration. You carry a log book and are allowed 52 logged trips per year. There are a lot of Chevs, Mustangs and Rods here with this type of reg.
Thanks for your info.
Cheers.
Al.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.