Material recomendations from Dan? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2010, 01:49 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Material recomendations from Dan?

Dan, I am trying to decide on a faux leather to use. "Ultraleather like" is what I would like to have at a lesser cost. There are about 8 gajillian kinds of stuff out there so it gets confusing. I think i want a urethane and that seems to really narrow it down because I can hardly find urethanes. Naugahyde has a line called Nauga soft that they claim is as leatherlike as faux leather can get and has 1 million dubble rub rating in the Wyz. test. But it is PVC (vinyl) not uretnane. Ever used it? Ultraleather has a perfect color for me and some of the samples of other stuff I have seen do not have the right grey or even a grey at all. Should I just bite the bullet and get the ultraleather or do you have a suggestion as to an alternative? I hate to pay that price knowing I'm gonna screw a lot of it up learning to sew. I have a bunch vinyl to practice on but I will probably still screw up some good material.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 09:29 PM
First name...............Shawn

Last photo:

I'm not Dan, but I'll give some recommendations.

We are putting Naugahyde "Majestic" in a car right now, it had the perfect color for this vehicle. I am very pleased with the material, I would definitely use it again. It is a polyurethane like UltraLeather.

Other brands to look into: Luxor Soft Touch, Dove, Infiniss, Izit Leather

Also, look into some of the recycled leathers. These have a 100% recycled leather backing, but have a polyurethane "topcoat."
Old 09-22-2010, 06:58 AM

Thanks, thanks for the replies. I had been considering majestic but it is limited on grey. I can not seem to get any samples of it to check the grey they have. Can you give me any sources for buying the products you mentioned. Not being an upholstery shop I know my options are limited. I also know of Miami, Perfect Fit, Rochford, and Your Auto, any others I should check?
Old 09-22-2010, 07:39 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

I'm not Dan either, but he did recommend and get me this fabric for my sedan delivery from Burch Fabrics Group. This line is called "Magnificent" and I see in the color chart that there are a couple of grays...although not a huge selection.

As I recall, the fabric was about half the price (or less) of Ultra Leather back when Dan ordered it. Might have changed by now. But you may want to give it a look.

This was my first shot at doing a full interior as well and I found working with this material very pleasant...although I have very little to compare it to. I'm sure between Shawn and Dan they can steer you toward some very good stuff.

Some results:

Old 09-22-2010, 07:58 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristkustoms
I'm not Dan, but I'll give some recommendations.

We are putting Naugahyde "Majestic" in a car right now, it had the perfect color for this vehicle. I am very pleased with the material, I would definitely use it again. It is a polyurethane like UltraLeather.

Other brands to look into: Luxor Soft Touch, Dove, Infiniss, Izit Leather

Also, look into some of the recycled leathers. These have a 100% recycled leather backing, but have a polyurethane "topcoat."
I am Dan, and Shawn is right on the money, all of those products are terrific. I used some of the recycled leather, and was impressed with it, but it's also pricey. The neat part about it is that it even smells like leather because of the backing. My supplier's rep also told me they are doing land office business with it. Infiniss Dove and original Infiniss both have at least four shades of grays, I'd check them out. Original Infiniss has a pebble finish, and Dove has more of a smoother calfskin finish.

If I were you I'd stick with the 100% polyurethane fabrics. Ultraleather used to be the only choice around for the 100% polyurethanes, but not any more. Naugahyde Majestic is very, very impressive, it's too bad they only have two grays.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0793.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	48259  

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 09-22-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:39 PM

Thanks for more answers guys. Is the Infiness stuff polyurethane or vinyl? I would like to have the smoother grain like the Dove, maybe they have a grey that would work. Where can I ask for a sample from? The Majestic is contract grade, I think Dan said that means it is heavier and more durable which sounds appealing to me as long as it still has a good leatherlike appearance. The places I can find Majestic do not seem to offer a sample card like they do the other fabrics. Where can I get a sample of it? Maybe the grey they have that is not so dark would work for me.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:45 PM

cboy I meant to tell you that your interior looks nice. Did you mess up any material getting it right?
Old 09-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg2
Thanks for more answers guys. Is the Infiness stuff polyurethane or vinyl? I would like to have the smoother grain like the Dove, maybe they have a grey that would work. Where can I ask for a sample from? The Majestic is contract grade, I think Dan said that means it is heavier and more durable which sounds appealing to me as long as it still has a good leather like appearance. The places I can find Majestic do not seem to offer a sample card like they do the other fabrics. Where can I get a sample of it? Maybe the grey they have that is not so dark would work for me.
Infiniss is 100% polyurethane. Here's a link that has pretty good color samples: CLICK HERE Look at Pewter, Smoke, Nightfall, Charcoal, and Grayson. Contract grade doesn't have to mean the fabric is thicker or heavier, only that it is very durable, is easy to clean, stands up to chemicals, oil, UV rays, etc. Majestic is made in the USA by Naugahyde, so try to get a sample from them directly.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:52 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg2
Did you mess up any material getting it right?
I didn't make too many huge mistakes with the fabric itself but I attribute much of that to the number of practice panels, as shown in my journal, which I did. So one way or the other, I used much more fabric than a pro would have used. I just made my mistakes on test panels.

Also, I DID make plenty of mistakes laying down the 1/4" closed cell foam on the backer boards (also shown in my journal). By the time I was done, I had made almost every panel twice. So I had more than my share of rookie mess ups.

The bottom line is, you are very wise to be calculating for ample material. Just chalk up those additional expenses as your "tuition and fees" for beginning to learn this part of the hobby.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:19 PM

I know it is not an exact science but would 12 yards of material do a 52 pickup? Covering two bucket seats, arm rest, sides of console, kick and door panels, headliner and surround the cab behind the seats and around back window.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

12 yards would do a pickup truck easily.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:43 PM

ever heard of Majilite fabric? It is not pvc or urethane. some kind of mix of nylon and some other stuff. They claim it is the highest quality available and you can get it with sew foam already on it in 1/4 or 1/8 inch.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:49 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Majilite makes Novasuede imitation suede. Like almost all the imitation suedes, this is made from nylon. I know it's available bonded to 1/8" sew foam , but I haven't see it available bonded to 1/4" sew foam.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 09-29-2010 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:24 AM

This is not suede. would it be as good or better than a urethane product?
Old 09-29-2010, 07:47 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

All of their products are made of 100% nylon. I have never used it before, but after looking at their website, they seem to think it will outlast leather, but so will the 100% polyurethane fabrics.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.