Mating FWD Toyota Transmission to GM 60 Degree V6 Motor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2004, 10:13 AM

Last journal entry: Fixed some leaks
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mating FWD Toyota Transmission to GM 60 Degree V6 Motor

Here's my project - I have a little blue car that is in desperate need of torque. While it is rwd, its really just a fwd platform stuck in the back of the car. A friend of mine let me drive his Spyder that he swapped a Toyota V6 in. Lots of fun.

I would like to do something similar but I do not want to use a Toyota V6. I consider an engine to be a user consumeable item just as I do brake pads and tires. The motor that I would have to use from Toyota is fairly expensive to come by. If I were able to use a GM 60 degree (2.8, 3.1, 3.4) I would have similar power outputs with the added benefit of the engines being a dime a dozen. Anyhow, I have a 2.8 block laying around to make comparisons with. A buddy of mine (the one with the v6) was kind enough to make a few tracings of several FWD toyota transmissions he has laying around. One of them is close, but the bolts don't quite match up. The GM pattern is slightly larger than the toyota pattern. Four of the bolts look like it would just be necessary to redrill or possibly tig an ear on for proper fitment. The top two bolts are an inch or so off. They aren't long enough to make it to the bosses on the block. The "hole" for the flywheel and such is big enough, but the GM bellhousings seem to extend up an extra inch or so just for fun. The toyota bellhousings do not do this.

Does anybody here have any experience with modifying an aluminum bellhousing to fit a different bolt pattern of any kind? I'm not sure how big of a mess I'm walking into, but I wanted to have an idea. I know that the bellhousings are cast and that makes welding on them problematic at best, but I can't imagine that has stopped everyone from trying before I found a need to do it.

I'm only asking about the bellhousing as I have already worked out the clutch/pressureplate/flywheel and pilot bushing mess.

Many thanks for any assistance you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2004, 11:05 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Sounds doable

Have you considered an adapter plate..In ancient history there were several adapter plates available for say bolting a chev sbc to an early ford..I think in fact there are some around for putting a chev sbc in a toyota pickup..Not that those would fit your application but just as an example to show things like this have been done..

These were accurately made so that the plot bearing and input shaft of the tranny lined up correctly..would be a bit of machining to make one but I think it may be your best bet..

Sounds like you have thought it through and could do this..

OMT
Old 11-29-2004, 01:56 PM

Last journal entry: Fixed some leaks
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My concern with an adapter plate is that it might back the transmission out too far from the engine. I suppose that could be compensated by milling some material off the block and off the bellhousing - but I have other concerns about making it weak. The only adapter plate I have seen first hand is the one for my 265 V8 to bolt to an Allison Powerglide transmission. It adds about an inch and a half between the block and the transmission that I can tell.

Another interesting bit about the fwd toyota transmissions is that there are some of them that do not use a pilot bearing type setup. The input shaft is free floating and entirely supported by the main bearing in the transmission. I'd never heard of such a thing until I started monkeying with this stuff. Edit - this is not to say that I think I can get out of making sure the alignment on the input shaft is dead on. Just thought it was a neat setup for a transmission and worth mentioning is all.

Anyhow, my real concern is the actual modifications to the bellhousing. I didn't know if this was a great big no no or if it is something that is doable so long as it is done correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2004, 02:17 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Recall??

As I recall the old adapter plates were steel and about an 1/2" thick and there was not any big deal on the pilot bearing..there may have been an adapter for the pilot bearing or some kind of bushing for that..

And it is correct to be a bit anal about getting the alignment correct of the input shaft of the tranny to the engine as one can get a terrible vibration if the clutch disk is off off center..

The old plates bolted to the rear of the block and were drilled and tapped to accept the trans mounting pattern..seemed to work out fine..

Probably worth the trip through Speedway, Jegs, Summit and some of the other online catalogs to see what they offer..And get some ideas of how the adapter plates are made..

Keep us posted..

OMT

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.