Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - max horsepower in a sbc 400
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 06:59 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

This thread started by a guy who called the thread "Max horsepower from a sbc 400". Some guys who don't know what a 406 is tore into him so I responded by providing a few facts that went over most of their heads.
I stand corrected on the original 400 rod length. Thank you & oops, my mistake. I never mentioned that rod length changes the size of on engine so I don't know why I'm being torn apart for that, what you didn't consider is that the rod length generates torque and horsepower and that was my point.
To compare 406 to a 383 shows a lack of understanding of what a 406 is. A 383 starts as a 350sbc and needs revs to produce power. It has a sharp torque & hp curve where as a 406 stroker starts as a 400sbc and produces horsepower and torque just off idle with a relatively flat curve on both. Pretty hard to compare those don't you think?
Is a 406 stroker that unheard of on this forum? Looks like some of you really need to do some homework on a particular engine before you make a comment. Look at the links I provided and do some research, who knows, you may like what you see.
Let's all play nice & learn from each other because isn't that what this forum is for?