max power for a 305?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2002, 03:15 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post max power for a 305??

don't laugh big cube guys. i gotta work with i got. i don;t have the meens to swap out the engine, besides this little thing goes pretty good. however, i would like some advice on head choice. i've herd and see build ups the use vortec heads, but i;m not to keen on replacing my new intake. the guy at the parts store of course wants me to buy some aluminum performer heads. there like three times the cost of the vortec heads. are performer heads that much better or should i just bite bullet and buy a vortec kit. swaping really isn't a practicle option for me. please limit making fun of the 305 to one or two per response (hehehe) thanks.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2002, 09:25 PM

Vortec heads pipe the Edelbrock Performers.
They outflow the Performers and they have a better, more efficient chamber design.

Your compression will drop a bit with the 64cc chambers though.

In the end, you're really better off spending your money on a 350. I know that's not what you want to hear, but you can get a GM crate 350 for about what you're going to pay for the Edelbrocks, plus, your manifold will bolt on to it, and you've got a whole engine. You need a distributor with a 350 advance curve, hook up your exhaust, and you're done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2002, 09:40 PM

You never said anything about a rebuild, but if you are,I'd have to second what Readdwarf said about the 350 crate engine, I found it to be cheeper and easer, but I had a 350 to begin with.

all I have to say about the vortec vs. edelbrock is that the vortec head's that I found for a 350 are much cheeper than the edelbrock, even with a new pricy intake. And If they do flow better than the edelbrock's than it might be worthint to swap out the new intake, You also might want to consider a new camshaft to match the heads and intake.
Old 04-14-2002, 12:57 AM

thanks for your suggestions! i know the last thing you guys want to think about is the 305. oddly enough up here in Canada the vortec heads are about the same price as the performer heads. i talked to gm canada and the heads are going to run me 600bucks each so a total of 1200!! if i was located in the states i would have dropped a crate engine in it a long time ago; however, everything from gm is far more expensive up here. it sucks trying to build a car in Canada. (if any canadian guys read this and know of a cheap way to get a good crate engine over the boarder i;m all ears!).
Old 04-14-2002, 04:15 AM

Last photo:

Talking

Check out ebay motors' on the heads,lots of good deals there.
Old 04-14-2002, 05:27 AM

Question

maybe you could just jump across the border/if you are close enough?don't know how things work?do they nail you with some sort of import tax when you bring complete engine across.if so is there an import tax on parts. you could pull the heads off a crate motor and then put them back on when you get it home.that way it would be considerd part and not a complete engine.just a thought .like I said don't know how that border stuff works
Old 04-14-2002, 08:26 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The best way to get a crate engine into Canada is to drive over the border and have it installed in the states, consider the trip break-in. I have an original copy of the Free Trade Agreement and there is nothing saying you can't have a part replaced in the US and have to pay duty, I like to think of the engine as one big part. The border guards couldn't care less about a new engine, they are too busy looking for explosives and drugs. Just have your engine delivered to a garage pay by credit card and drive down, enjoy your three day holiday.

The difference in price usually pays for the trip and the engine installation.
Old 04-14-2002, 11:25 PM

I would have to agree with 4jawchuck, a short vacation to the states might be your best bet. besides, I aint never seen a customs agent ask about my powerplant in whatever I was drivin. also, if I knew the year,make,and model of your rod I do beleive that I could help get you a reasonable price estimate on an engine swap.
contact me directly at critters61@aol.com and I can give you a phone no. to discuss the matter in detail
Old 04-15-2002, 06:29 PM

Even if the Vortecs cost the same as the Performers, they're still a better head.

The only advantage the Performers have is that they're aluminum, so you could get away with a few points higher compression. But then, like I said before, if you run 64cc chambers on a 305, you're going to lose compression anyway. You could run domed pistons to compensate, but domes interfere with flame travel, and would add considerable cost to your project.

Any way you look at it, you are better off going 350ci
Old 04-15-2002, 07:08 PM

well everybody says get a 350 but you want to work the 305 here is what I would do with a 305 for the lowest cost heads I'd use the monte ss or iroc 305 heads 1.84 intake 150 exhaust match the ports some chevy brown valve springs and roller rockers or get a pair of 194/150 64cc fulie type heads and angle mill them 060 to restore the compression match ports and do springs these heads will flow great especially on a small engine you will need thicker intake gaskets mr gasket used to make them for a cam keep the duration around 270 and center line somewhere about 112 lift should be below .500 for street running.understand though the 305 will never be a world beater but in a light car will run respectably.I'd use small diameter long tube headders and good sized exhaust system with minimum restriction.the way I see it if you can get it to turn 6500 you'll be playing ball the rest you do with tranny, rear end tires,suspention and your foot
Old 04-17-2002, 11:41 PM

thanks for all your imput. it has finally come to the point where i cannot ingnore all the words of wisdom. i might aswell save a few more bucks and get a 350. if nothing will be perfectly compatible with the 305 then there's no point in bothering. the 64cc head thing really did me in. thanks again.
Old 04-19-2002, 10:22 AM

There ya go! I promise, you'll never regret it, especially when people ask "what's under the hood?" Now you won't have to lie
Plus they'll be more likely to ask, since your car will run circles around the same car with a 305.

WIth the 350, you can run the 1.94" valves without having to clearance the block. In fact, you can even run 2.02"s but the Vortecs come with the 1.94"s and they will work great.

Good luck
Old 04-19-2002, 09:37 PM

Wink

Check out Pace auto parts. they list a carbureted version of a vortec head kit complete with a performer or performer rpm (choice) gaskets, head bolts, etc. for $795. This is in the spring 2002 catalog I just got about a week ago.

You'll still have a 305, but it should breath better.

Don't know how canada feels about you importing head, but this should beat the 1200 bucks.

they are online at <a href="http://www.paceparts.com" target="_blank">www.paceparts.com</a>
Old 04-22-2002, 01:05 AM

hey Cole,
this is more for everyone elses benefit. The biggest challenge in gettin parts to Canada from the States is not duty as much as exchange rate. This changes from day to day, and is a major factor in exportation of anythin from US to Canada. I personally would opt for a 350 buildup from a used mill as this would be (in my opinion) every bit as good or better than any crate unit and the computer can be eliminated. All can be done comparably price wise.
good luck and have fun

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.