Hot Rod Forum banner

max rpm for a stock bottom end bbc?

9K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  lowstreet 
#1 ·
i have 454 , with a cam good ported & polished heads roller rockers forged piston and a stock bottom end dont know if steel crank or not. motor already built when i got it. dont no all the specs. so assuming its stock bottom end whats the limit. guy told me i could push it to 6200 rpms but i have it set at 5000 just to be safe. i do not want to blow it up , so what would your experince push it too.???

#3 ·
chevelle4542speed said:
i have 454 , with a cam good ported & polished heads roller rockers forged piston and a stock bottom end dont know if steel crank or not. motor already built when i got it. dont no all the specs. so assuming its stock bottom end whats the limit. guy told me i could push it to 6200 rpms but i have it set at 5000 just to be safe. i do not want to blow it up , so what would your experince push it too.???
I twisted one like that about 6200, in a drag car,crate motor bottom end with forged racing pistons,oval port heads and a 620 lift cam. It would run 6.23 @ 2200lbs.

#7 ·
I very seldom turn my solid roller cammed LS-6 big block over 6000 RPM,it has the 7/16 con rod bolts,forged crank and 4 bolt mains.It has lasted for going on 6 years now since I've owned it,no problems with the bottom end!Although I do know one aquaintance that builds big blocks for pull trucks,and with a bottom end not much different from what I use,he turns his motors up to 8000 RPM.

#8 ·
Without knowing if its a cast or forged crank and if it has good bolts in the rods...? I would not push it past 5500rpm even with the forged pistons... 69NovaSS is correct on the stock rod bolts being the weak link even before a cast crank... If it has a steel crank and good bolts or aftermarket rods then by all means 6500rpm is fine...

Just pull the pan and find out then hope who ever assembled it did it right no matter what the internals are... ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.