Maximum angle of drag link to center link? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2013, 01:23 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Maximum angle of drag link to center link?

Hoping someone with steering experience can help me out.
I'm designing a drag link and center link for my project.
This is a rear steer set up (steer box behind the front spindles).
My plan is to have a center link that swings on two idler arms like an Astro Van that is pushed by a drag link.
Currently the steer box is 5.4 inches rearward of the center link with an angle between a drag link and the center link of about 13.5 degrees. (See attached)
Is there a maximum angle that is acceptable between a drag link and center link.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Assy, Chassis, v0.20 Scout 2 stand rotation bottom.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	74205  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 07:13 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

steering linkage

You need to check how much angle you can move the linkage before the ball and socket binds, you might have to drill the hole at an angle and taper reamed to fit when fabbing new parts or heat and bend. You need to have the ball and socket centered at straight ahead and not bind when turned or use the bind at full left or right as steering turn stops. I have had the side mounted drag link on a t bucket want to rotate when turning the steering wheel. The drag link was bent for tire clearance to turn and the pivot point center lines were skewed in different directions.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:25 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

over center lock up

I have a 1922 model T speedster, dropped front axle, reversed eye spring, steering column lowered, . I have to be carefull when making a new drag link that the linkage won't go over center . if done wrong you can turn and have the wheels pull all the way one direction and you cannot get them to come back straight ahead by turning the steering wheel.
The Following User Says Thank You to timothale For This Useful Post:
Mutt's37Buick (05-22-2013)
Old 05-22-2013, 08:06 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Looks close enough to me...I'd just tweak (grind) the splines on the pittman arm to rotate it a bit and try to get a 90-degree angle between it and the drag link at "straight-ahead".

Later on when it's actually mocked up, do run the suspension (with no springs installed, just the shocks) through all it's paces and angles, checking that there's some movement left in all the joints at the extremes, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to kso For This Useful Post:
Mutt's37Buick (05-22-2013)

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.