May have to give up Hunting? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2009, 10:15 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

May have to give up Hunting?

I am developing arthritis in my knees so bad I may have to give up hunting. There is a very crude road that goes thru the property I hunt and I thought if I got jeep or pick up truck to get into the property I could continue hunting. I have never owned either type vehicle so I started by looking at Consumer Reports and they say the Jeep Wrangler had much worse than average reliability, while the Nissan Frontier, Toyota Tacoma, and Honda Ridge line pick up trucks had better than average reliability. I researched reported problems on the internet, and all four of them had page after page of horror stories where the vehicle broke down, the dealer refused to fix it and they were stuck with thousands of dollars in repair bills. I hate to buy something that is going to give me a lot of trouble. I really don't want to trailer a 4 wheeler or motor cycle out there.

Can any of you recommend a good off road vehicle? I have to drive about 50 miles to get to the hunting area.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2009, 10:43 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Is this vehicle going to be a regular driver or mainly used for hunting? You can get a good mid-90s Chevy, Ford or Dodge full size 4x4 that would work well. If you need something newer look to the early 00's. I have a 2000 Silverado 4x4 and wouldn't trade it for anything, other than a diesel.

Last edited by Blazin72; 09-02-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:16 AM

Last photo:

Get a older jeep cherokee up till about 2001 or so when they stopped making them with the 4.0 inline 6 cylinder. When taking care of they last for along time.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:01 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

You may start with 2nd and 3rd opinion on your knee problems, especially if you only have "arthur" in your knees and no other joints. I suffered with bad knees for years and a scope job on each took care of them.

My present hunting truck is a Toyota Tundra that has never had a problem in 114,000 miles. It has had to slug through the mud ever time it rains during the month long trips I take, though it is not in the really rough stuff that much. The Tundra replaced a 66 Bronco that was retired after 219,000 miles of which many were spent in the Rockies of Utah, Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming. Nothing easy about that "off roading". and it never let me down. Being a hot rodder, find one of those and make an off road rod out of it. But I would not lose a minutes sleep worrying about a Toyota Tacoma not doing what I wanted it to do.

Trees
Old 09-03-2009, 08:55 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,279 Times in 1,120 Posts
I have to tell you I have been taking Glucosamine supplement tablets now for maybe a year and they have made a hell of a difference.

My knees are a little funky from kneeling on floors all my life in body shops. Back about a year ago they had gotten so bad that walking around hurt and I was being awoken in the middle of the night with TERRIBLE pain a knee that would get popped out of joint or something, I don't know what the heck was happening. But they were getting bad. I started taking these glucosamine tablets everyday as prescribed and though they are still "popping" quite a bit when I walk I don't have nearly the pain and I don't even think about them during the day as I work.

You may want to talk to your doctor about taking it, pretty cheap treatment.

Brian
Old 09-03-2009, 09:04 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I have to tell you I have been taking Glucosamine supplement tablets now for maybe a year and they have made a hell of a difference.

X10!!!, That stuff is fantastic!
Old 09-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
X10!!!, That stuff is fantastic!
I agree 100%! DO NOT BUY THE CHEAPIE CRAP, it just doesn't work. Buy from a reputable source, the 99cent store stuff has been tried by yours truly, it doesn't take long to realize that it's not doing the job. I've been taking this stuff for about 10 years, at one time I couldn't touch my hands over my head without terrible pain, my knees were locking up occasionally, I still am not 100% but doing much better. And believe it or not, proper exercise. I find after getting up in the morning, moving around may be painful for awhile but the pain decreases the more I move.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:59 AM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

If I may add one small comment about the Glucosamine - - you have to be "religious" about it and stay with the program - - - don't get dissapointed and quit because you think it should work faster and better - - - just hang in there and I think you will be glad you did.

Footnote: the best anti-inflamatory that I have found that doesn't tear up my gut is Liquid Gel Advil - - - with me that is!
Old 09-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,279 Times in 1,120 Posts
I have to agree with Mr. Ratchet. I have them in a weekly pill container like those used by "old people" to maintain all their meds. I take it twice daily religiously. I brought it with me on my vacation, I take it EVERYDAY.

And on the price of the stuff, yep it is costly but if you watch it at your local Rite-Aid or other chain pharmacys they will be on two for one sales all the time. I have never paid full price yet for them. I get two bottles everytime they are on sale.

Brian
Old 09-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Steel Dreams

Last photo:

Ditto on the Glucosamine, but under stand it can take 4-6 weeks before you get relief . I take one in the morning and one at night have been for about 15 years . i could not use my shoulders with out it.
On the high cost of Glucosamine check with your local veterinary doctor or one off the techs and see if you can get it from them at a reduced cost or better at what they pay for it. I know you are saying...Get it from who? the medicine they give their "patients" is the exact same medicine that is given to us humans. How do I know this ? My daughter is a registered Vet tech and we have been buying this and anti-inflammatory tablets from them for over ten years .
Hope you get some relief!
Kenny
Lost your job yet? Keep buying foreign
Old 09-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

This is what I drive and use for hunting...I trailer it behind my pick up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	40412  

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.