Me and my bright ideas... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2003, 01:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Me and my bright ideas...

Everyone thinks I'm nuts for spending so much time on a rotted out cab for my '87 CK. I should have bought a rust free cab, but I wanted a real challenge for my 1st project. My theory is that I'f I can restore something rough, I will have gained a ton of experience to apply to my next project. (hopefully a 30's or 40's car) My project is currently at my place of work with all the equipment at my disposal.
So far I've replaced the under cab supports (I made my own the replacement pieces were too light) and one rocker. I still have to replace the front floors, right rocker, kick panels and cab corners. some of the floor work beside the door is going to require some tricky hand formed parts.
It seems I've spent more time building gear to work on this thing than rebuilding the cab itself. ( I made my own sandblaster and rotisserie) The fact I have to store this thing outside is also a big setback. It's going to take months to get the cab back on the frame. ( I only work on it about 8-10 hrs a week)
Am I nuts or does my theory make any sense???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2003, 01:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Building the rotisserie first was the best thing you could have done, you must have roasted meat to complete any project.

Your next assignment...

Beer fridge.

I think everybody does things the hard way once just to gain experience and confidence, I know I did. Ask me about the 78 Pinto rear fender I made from an early 70's Chevy truck hood, man did that take a lot of time with a sandbag and a body hammer and dolly.

The worst thing of course...it was for a Pinto!

In my defense I must confess it was all done to impress a girl and gain favor with her father. Good thing I married her because I'm never doing that again...especially for a Pinto!
Old 07-26-2003, 07:05 PM

Last photo:

Just remember the experience is never wasted, and the tools made will work on future projects, still have many hand built tools from the 60's and 70's before you could 1-800 everything. The tools still do what they were designed for and cheaper.
Old 07-27-2003, 04:21 PM

sounds like great experience for future projects plus you have some tools to take to the next project also - all is a most worthwhile investment good luck
Old 07-28-2003, 09:57 AM
Returning American Maddman

Last photo:

You can hook up a cartridge to your sawzall and fire jelly beans or M&M's at a 58 rounds per second.

I know you could have bought a better cab. But I am in the same mode. I am building everything I need for my C-Cab. I doodle pictures, wander junk yards, petition the courts (Ask mama) for new tools and love EVERY minute of it. I want to take vacation and put a cot in the shop. There is a shower out back and the beer fridge works great!
Old 07-28-2003, 07:48 PM

Last photo:

Cool I'm on the right track...I'll just keep focusing on the smaller task on hand instead of the big picture so I won't get discouraged
Old 07-28-2003, 08:05 PM

You are all men after my own heart. Keep up the good thought. I will buy the first round if we meet. It is all about knowelgde, exsperence and one or more beers and a good freind.

Last edited by Bob Norris; 07-28-2003 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:17 AM
Returning American Maddman

Last photo:

At the shop, we basically live by a single creed when it comes to our cars. Do one thing today so you won't have to do it tomorrow. I come home really tired from work and I still do at least one small thing to one of my rides every day. Maybe wash one, maybe clean the shop so I can find everything. Maybe I go to the easel and draw out some ideas that are illuding me. Last night I got all the wood for the floor ready to go in the planner and cut the oak uprights to length. Tonight after guitar lessons, I will go to the shop and build the seat riser.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:20 PM

Last photo:

I'm going to adopt that practice as soon as I bring the truck home. Its at my place of work now, but I only have time one night a week to dedicate to it. (Usually till 3 AM Sat morn) After working all day the last place I wan't to be is at the shop. Maybe another 6 weeks...

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.