measuring tools for engine building - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2011, 02:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

measuring tools for engine building

I hope this is the correct place to post this question, What are opinions on digital micrometer also digital calipers in comparison to older stuff,I am researching before buying ,and I know i only get what I pay for,One other element is the ease of use with Digital readout , but how accurate are the budget/possibly offshore items??I am presently assembling a fairly standard 350 SBC.and am finding main bearing and rod clearences are varying a bit because of my lack of " feel " using my old Starrit Micrometer.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2011, 03:36 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

FWIW, my best friends is a machinist in the military and he doesn't like digital ones. I'm not real sure why though I guess I didn't ask him that part. Accuracy? I've seen good ones off a little bit and bad ones both on and off but it's mostly the durability and ability to repeat for most time the actual size means less than that comparisons between sizes. Cheap ones tend to grow a lot while holding them while good ones do grow but it seems at a slower rate. Perhaps it's the steel they are made from vrs cast or fully machined from billets.

It's ok to buy cheap and have them checked by good ones for occasional use on non critical stuff but if a life matters because of the part except nothing less but the best.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
I had one digital caliper in my life and every time I took it out of the box to use it, the batteries were dead. Like I said, I only had ONE. Now, I use a Starrett 0-6 dial caliper and a Mitutoyo 0-12 dial caliper. I also have a full set of Brown & Sharpe micrometers, 1" through 6" and a Starrett dial indicator, among other measuring tools.

I only buy Starrett, Brown & Sharpe and Mitutoyo because my dad was a tool & die maker and that's all he bought. I wouldn't be averse to buying other brands made in Japan, but would not buy Chinese yet. They will be as sophisicated as Japan one day, but they have a long way to go. Today, they make crap because someone is always willing to buy crap.

I view quality precision tools as an investment that you will use for decades to come. Most of my stuff in going on 40 years old.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Same as Tech, I have one Vernier digital, with dead batteries, but a full drawer of Starretts, from baby steps to 12 inch, inside and outside. Learn to read and calibrate them you can't go wrong.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 05-26-2011, 05:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
I had one digital caliper in my life and every time I took it out of the box to use it, the batteries were dead. Like I said, I only had ONE. Now, I use a Starrett 0-6 dial caliper and a Mitutoyo 0-12 dial caliper. I also have a full set of Brown & Sharpe micrometers, 1" through 6" and a Starrett dial indicator, among other measuring tools.

I only buy Starrett, Brown & Sharpe and Mitutoyo because my dad was a tool & die maker and that's all he bought. I wouldn't be averse to buying other brands made in Japan, but would not buy Chinese yet. They will be as sophisicated as Japan one day, but they have a long way to go. Today, they make crap because someone is always willing to buy crap.

I view quality precision tools as an investment that you will use for decades to come. Most of my stuff in going on 40 years old.
Great " Food for thought" I have Googled the above named items + a search of E Bay.So I now have a few bids on used measuring things of interest, and decided to buy a new Mitutoyo,
I kinda thought this was the wrong place to post , but its been worthwhile, many thanks for the input. I have just noticed the "New" tools garage equiptment section.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:44 PM

Last photo:

Plastigage.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:40 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyK81
Plastigage.
You got digital plastigauge?
Old 05-27-2011, 11:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyK81
Plastigage.
Just a note regards Platigage, I bought some from E Bay UK, And the price with postage from the UK to Cork Ireland was 6.40 Euros.(nearly 10 Dollars) The same quantity from E Bay USA is 1 US Dollar nett. ,That to me is a good incentive to invest in some good measuring equiptment!!

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.