Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The mechanic didnt even know?
View Single Post
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-10-2012, 11:07 PM
cobalt327's Avatar
cobalt327 cobalt327 is offline
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 597 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweed
Hi guys im back.i was driving home one night last week when my tire rod came loose and there was smoke under the hood.i got it pulled in at a gas station of all places and notice smoke coming from the hood.the little ground wire from the battery to the frame was glowing and burning and smoke was boiling out of the inside.1999 jimmy 2wd that is.i call the firetruck and a man came quick and cut the battery because i dont know anything about cars/trucks.the guy saved my jimmy from burning to the ground but whats scary is the mechanic said that was the only wire burned up and the alternator burned up to and he dont know how,just said a fluke so now im in panaic everytime i drive it.anyone with any ideas?it cost $500 to put the screws back in the tire rod,replace wires and alternator at $65 an hour for labor.has this ever in history happend?
If the main ground from the battery to the (usually) engine or a bracket attached to the engine wasn't making good contact, the electrical system could have been grounding through that one small gauge wire that melted.

Before it happens again, check the connections at the engine and battery and condition of the negative battery cable, along w/the positive cable condition and connection at the starter solenoid. If they're questionable, replace them. Be sure the grounds between the engine and firewall are there and tight.
Reply With Quote