Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - mechanical advance settings??
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2005, 01:55 AM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My set up

There are 360 degrees in a circle. There are 8 cylinders leaving 45 degrees between each cylinder. If you put 48 to 52 degrees of time in the motor you will be firing on the wrong cylinder.

MSD HEI:
I used the red bushing. It stops at 28 degrees.

I used the light silver and light blue springs. Advance comes in at 1300 rpm and is all the way in at 3200 rpm.

Disconnect vacuum advance. Set time at 10 degrees at 1000 rpm. The 28 degree stop with 10 degrees static will give you a total of 38 degrees. Reconnect vacuum advance and set idle to 800 rpm.

I found that if you use the 2 light silver springs the advance will come in around 800 rpm. I found that the engine would stay advanced at red lights and idle at 1200 rpm. I would have to shut the motor off and restart it to get weights to recoil back to 800 rpm.

Leave the vacuum advance connected. Later if you decide to buy a Digital 6 plus Multi Spark box, you can lock out the vacuum and mechanical advance and use the retard option on the box.

Last edited by bracketeer; 02-10-2005 at 02:07 AM.