Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - mechanical advance settings??
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2005, 09:36 AM
Never let them see you coming

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I guess everyone tunes their engine to fire on the wrong cylinder then.

HERE is the proof of what I was saying. Read the whole thread. I stand by what I stated. It is written in many articles. You need an adjustable vacuum advance to ensure you are not going over the limit of 48-52 degrees.

HERE is another article. I would not take the initial/mechanical settings as gospel, you still need to see what you can get away with, but your total (initial + mechanical) should be between 34-? degrees, the most your engine likes without detonation. The point of this article is the total as a whole (initial+mechanical+vacuum) should not be more than 50-51, and why you need so much. Just be sure to test to what is best for your application

There are a ton of threads on this board to back up what I stated, as well as many articles written in magazines, the net, etc. Just take a look. I run my setup with 52 degrees of complete timing, not a hiccup of detonation at all, but again, that is my setup.

Last edited by wildman926; 02-10-2005 at 09:45 AM.