Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Mechanical Advance Timing
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 06:42 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hi, I need some help with the timing, it is too high and I'm not sure why.

Before working on the vacuum advance setup I went and verified the total timing set last week and at 3000 rpm it was 36 degrees but when I went up to 4500 it went to 45 degrees! does that mean I didn't have it yet at 'all-in'? I used the MSD medium springs that are supposed to have all-in by 3000 rpm.
I don't recall how high we went last week but I do remember watching the timing and it stopped increasing between 3000 and 3500 so I assumed I was good.
Does timing increase again when you get into the high, close to WOT, range?

I then did an experiment and removed the springs in the distributor; the thought being that it will go 'all-in' to maximum timing at a lower RPM (4500 is awefully loud in a garage) and it immediately went to 55 degrees (at 1500 rpm), increasing to 2500 rpm still kept it at 55. That's crazy and does not make sense; the MSD 8362 is supposed to have a maximum mechanical advance of 21 degrees which should have made my total of 18 idle plus 21 be no more than 39 so where do the 55 come from.

I did ensure that the vacuum advance was closed off at the can and at the Carb so as not to affect this.

Any help is appreciated.
Gary

Ps. it idles at 18 degrees fine, no stumbling or anything. 18 is what it ended up with after my initial setting of 12 when we did our total timing setup last week and thought we had it at 36.
I confirmed my TDC at that time (using the piston stop tool method) to be correct and I have a timing tape installed on the balancer.

Last edited by ggevaert; 09-08-2012 at 06:48 PM.